Keeping myself safe

So, what happened last night?
Antonr
Articles: 0

Keeping myself safe

Post by Antonr »

Now, I won't be the first to admit that I like to let my hair down on a Friday night. Have a few drinks, maybe some wine, and enjoy the street atmosphere & the vibrant nightlife Thailand provides. And then, after a few hours I may let my pants down!

Ok, i exaggerate. But as a women living alone in Thailand, I often worry about my personal safety while out in the day sometimes, nevermind in the night. I've heard horror stories from friends and fellow expats in Thailand of how a night out became a nightmare in its own right! Does anybody in the fourm have any stories or tips to share about this?
Dracostar1

Re: Keeping myself safe

Post by Dracostar1 »

My suggestion is try not to go out so late all by yourself and so far away from home. Try not drinking too much and make sure if someone buys you a drink, you keep your eyes on it and don't give them the chance to put anything in it. Also, I would consider buying either a taser or some mace, possibly both for better protection. They could come in handy.
goldlady

Post by goldlady »

I live in a very safe place. I know some cities of Asia are not that safe. Bangkok it's one of them. I have heard that night life is not so safe. I would like to know about other people's experiences.
SimplyD

Post by SimplyD »

Antonr wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:14 pm
Now, I won't be the first to admit that I like to let my hair down on a Friday night. Have a few drinks, maybe some wine, and enjoy the street atmosphere & the vibrant nightlife Thailand provides. And then, after a few hours I may let my pants down!

Ok, i exaggerate. But as a women living alone in Thailand, I often worry about my personal safety while out in the day sometimes, nevermind in the night. I've heard horror stories from friends and fellow expats in Thailand of how a night out became a nightmare in its own right! Does anybody in the fourm have any stories or tips to share about this?
I think it would be for the best that you have a companion when going out late at night in Thailand. This is also what should be done whenever we are not in our own country or even in our own country. We see to it that we do not go overboard in drinking wine and the like in having fun at night on bars, lest you will not control yourself anymore and be a troublemaker already. With that, you might get enemies and be mauled.
It's always better safe than sorry as the saying goes.
Rossy

Post by Rossy »

goldlady wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:01 pm
I live in a very safe place. I know some cities of Asia are not that safe. Bangkok it's one of them. I have heard that night life is not so safe. I would like to know about other people's experiences.
There has to be a little insecurity at least in almost every other place. Even in developed countries you wouldn't miss to hear attack or crime cases All you need to do is be aware of your surrounding. Keep yourself safe as in some cases even the police wouldn't help much. Do not walk alone in dim areas, especially if you are a lady. Watch your cup too, do not drink too much to lose your self conscious. Always be alert .
jyy

Post by jyy »

It's heavily in the interest of bars, hotels etc. to make sure you're not ripped off or robbed. In that case, they would make all efforts to protect you and your money. Why wouldn't they? Unless, of course, the businesses were in on it, :) but that's highly unlikely.
augusta

Post by augusta »

Lack of security is everywhere so one should always make conscious effort of taking precautions especially at night. If possible stay out with a partner(s).Don't stay out so late.Know your drink's intake limit and avoid letting your guards down with total strangers.Enjoy.
overcast

Post by overcast »

When you are a foreigner, it doesn't matter whether you are a male or female. You just have to be among the group if possible. Going solo at night is not much recommended in any place around the world. Clubs often don't have safe people around. So you need to see if you can carry something like pepper spray if possible. Also having one local friend can be a good idea. If you are consuming alcohol then it helps if you can have one friend to take you back. That should be your approach while going to club or places at night.
kgord

Post by kgord »

I agree with all the above suggestions. It is also important to let someone know where you are going and when you expect to be back so someone can start looking or maybe notify the authorities if you don't return when you said that you would. It is just a smart thing to do.
fishmonk

Post by fishmonk »

I guess it is always better to be accompanied by a group of friends. I mean it does not matter if you are male or female as you are at risk to be targeted by syndicates or some people with bad intentions. Always make a point to let people know where you are heading.Years ago, one of my father's friend lost his daughter while shopping at a busy market. These places are not safe for children. Do make sure that your wallet is secure. I prefer using zipped pants so that pickpockets find it harder to sneak behind and run away with my wallet.