Peer Pressure

Blow off some steam, come in and rant
Dracostar1
Articles: 0

Peer Pressure

Post by Dracostar1 »

Peer pressure is never an easy thing to deal with. We all had or still are dealing with the issue whether it be from friends and family or strangers. I however thought of a few tips to help confront the issue.

1.Ask yourself if it is worth it. Is what you are being forced to do worth the stress or the aftermath? Is it something you will be proud of later? If the answer is no, then don't do it.

2. What are you getting out of it? I know this may seem a bit selfish, but something you have to ask this question. What are you truly getting from this? Is it something you value or need? If the answer is no, don't do it.

3. Why are you doing this? Is it a life or death situation? Is there something that you love truly at risk? Is it something you have to do? Is there a good point to it? If the answer is no, don't do it.

4.Will anything really change if you don't do it? Is there any great significance from this action that is guaranteed? If the answer is no then don't do it.

I really don't know if this counts as a rant or not, but I think this just needs to be said. Peer pressure exists in many forms, such as these vine challenges for example. Social norms fall into this category like fitting in with the crowd, liking and disliking music, being a "real man" or "real woman", and much more. I think it's better to be shunned by a few of your so called peers than to simply be a puppet in their little mind games.
jyy

Re: Peer Pressure

Post by jyy »

I've noticed this with web development. For instance, people will insist you get a .com, or at least a .com, .net, or .org. Also, they will give you highly subjective advice about your website design.
JoeMilford

Post by JoeMilford »

It took me a long time to learn my own voice and my own rhythm in life.
I never let people push me around, but I did let worrying about what others thought of me, at times, have an abject affect upon my life.
I am older now, and looking back, I wish I had rejected peer pressure much better on several occasions, but hindsight is always 20/20, of course, as they say.
jyy

Post by jyy »

Peer pressure isn't always bad, though. I mean, let's not be too politically correct here. ;) For instance, are people in the wrong to correct someone who obviously a punk? Are people in the wrong for giving constructive criticism involving something like being lazy or refusing to bathe?
overcast

Post by overcast »

Peer pressure is something almost everybody goes through these days. Some have the pressure of performing better than another teacher. Also some are more concerned about how they are delivering the value. So I guess that's common pressure and not something we always have to control. Instead I think we should be focused on what's possible from our side and build on that part. Same with students we have to teach them theses skills as we learn.
tallulah

Post by tallulah »

Yes. Peer pressure can be experienced at all levels. The pressure to conform and measure up to standard as prescribed by society. I guess we just learn to deal with it better the older we grow. This is why it is so important we need to have a inner moral compass guiding us. This will not allow peer pressure to overtake or overrule our better judgement. And also very important as parents that we teach our children from an early age, what is right and wrong.
Dracostar1

Post by Dracostar1 »

jyy wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:00 am
Peer pressure isn't always bad, though. I mean, let's not be too politically correct here. ;) For instance, are people in the wrong to correct someone who obviously a punk? Are people in the wrong for giving constructive criticism involving something like being lazy or refusing to bathe?
Good point, I almost took that out of consideration. If it is truly meant to better someone else or help them, then that is when peer pressure becomes the necessary evil. Though you should be careful on how you give pressure or criticism, many will see that as a personal attack.
jyy

Post by jyy »

Dracostar1 wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:50 am
jyy wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:00 am
Good point, I almost took that out of consideration. If it is truly meant to better someone else or help them, then that is when peer pressure becomes the necessary evil. Though you should be careful on how you give pressure or criticism, many will see that as a personal attack.
Several factors play into peer pressure and bullying. One is the fact some people being condescending. Another one is the projection factor. In other words, someone with a so-called "negative trait" will point out so-called "negative traits" in others. Finally, people are claiming subjective things to be objective.
fishmonk

Post by fishmonk »

I personally think that peer pressure can not be avoided if you are in certain groups. It will exist as long as you are social person. The key thing is to not give in to necessarily. We need to respect the opinions of others and compare with our own thoughts. Peer pressure is not necessarily a negative thing. We should use the feed back and make good decisions based on multiple factors.
augusta

Post by augusta »

I think this is one area in my life I had to deal with as a teenager.I just wanted friends because as an only child for a while I needed company and I couldn't resist doing what my friends were doing good or bad.

One day my mum educated me that is good to be alone than to be in company of bad friends to avoid problems in life.I learned a major lesson from those words

Since then still now,I have decided to be a lone ranger than keep bad company, it pays better.