smart ways to deal with rude people!

Blow off some steam, come in and rant
Pink_Turtle
Articles: 0

smart ways to deal with rude people!

Post by Pink_Turtle »

Hello Guys! So as you might know there are rude people all around the world but how do you deal with them? Here some advices on how to!

1. Remember, sometimes the rude person is you.
Maybe not today, but there’ve been times when you were rude. And you’re not a bad person. So next time somebody’s rude to you, remember that they’re human just like you, and rudeness alone doesn’t mean they’re a bad person either.
2. Don’t take it personally (even if it’s personal).
When someone’s rude—especially if they’re making personal comments about you—it’s easy to get upset. But you have a choice about how you react. Take the power out of their rudeness by choosing to treat it as their problem, not your problem.
3. Find out why.
People have their own reasons for being rude. Perhaps they’ve had a bad day, or they’re in a hurry and think there isn’t time for manners. Perhaps they don’t even realize how rude they’ve been. You won’t know until you ask! Stay calm and simply say, “I think that’s pretty rude. Why are you treating me like this?” The answer may surprise you.
4. Be objective and analyze the rudeness.
So somebody was rude to you. What did they do or say? Was there any sense in it? If you view the situation objectively, you’ll realize that most rudeness is senseless, so you can cheerfully ignore it. On the rare occasions when there’s logic behind the rude behavior, staying objective lets you address the root of the problem instead of the rudeness concealing it.
5. Don’t join the drama club.
Do you feel like yelling at the rude people around you? Don’t. Joining in the drama will only escalate the situation. Whether you’re dealing with a drama queen who’s doing it on purpose, or an inconsiderate oaf whose rudeness is unintentional, keep your dignity intact by not letting rude behavior provoke you into a tantrum of your own.
6. Let it drop and walk away.
Rudeness is hurtful, but removing yourself from the situation is the fastest and surest way to avoid more rude behavior from the same person. Walk away, even if they’re still talking to you! If they’re a stranger, you’ll never have to deal with them again. If they’re a friend or colleague, they’ll soon learn that being rude to you gets them exactly nowhere (and maybe that will prompt them to be nicer next time).
7. Consider offering help.
Some rudeness is a simple case of bad manners. But often, a person who’s rude to you does so because they feel frustrated about something—and if it’s within your power to resolve their frustration, you may see them switch from rudeness to gratitude in seconds. A word of warning, though: only offer help if you can provide it immediately, as an offer of help “later on” can add to their feelings of frustration.
8. Understand rudeness as a habit.
Some people are rude simply because they’re always rude. Once rudeness becomes a habit, it can be difficult to shake off even if they truly want to behave better. Habitual rudeness should never be taken personally; it’s just a pattern that’s hard to break. Which brings us to the next point—
9. Don’t try to force a change.
You can’t make someone be polite if they want to be rude. In fact, trying to force a change in their behavior will often make them behave worse instead of better. Sometimes your best option is to accept that their rudeness is not your fault and let them find their own solutions.
10. Fight rudeness with kindness.
Don’t let rudeness make you respond with more of the same. The best way to defuse rude behavior is to stay friendly and helpful, giving the other person a chance to calm down and adjust their behavior to match yours.

Note: This content it's not mine, I just put it together for you guys!
Source: http://www.lifehack.org/articles/commun ... eople.html
Dracostar1

Re: smart ways to deal with rude people!

Post by Dracostar1 »

Wow, these are some pretty good tips. Most if not all seem to be coming from a passive yet mature attitude. Personally, if someone was being rude to me I would simply ignore them and try to walk away. Sometimes, I might just not take them seriously and act like a smart aleck toward them. Though that would only be adding more fuel to the fire and would not be a proper way to handle a situation.
fishmonk

Post by fishmonk »

The tips are pretty useful. However, my approach is similar to that as mentioned by Dracostar1. I will ignore the rude person and excuse myself. I find it important not to waste time talking to a rude person as further conversation may lead to an argument. It is necessary not to lose composure when dealing with rude people. There's no need to fan the flames by provoking or responding in a similar manner to them.
Lunga

Post by Lunga »

Damn, I didn't even know so many ways existed, haha :) thank you for sharing. That's quite useful considering how many rude people we can encounter on the daily basis. Anyway, my way of dealing with those individuals is the way that's listed under the number 10 - fight them with kindness. When I used to be younger, I would always fight back with the rude people and try to show them why they're wrong with the things that they're doing or saying but as I've grown up, I've realized, why? What's the point? Why waste your energy on these people? Simply smile, be polite and let them wonder. I know that it can be a real challenge to fight back with kindness but remember that you have to be the bigger person.

I know one incident where a guy purposely bumped into me when I was in a queue so he could get ahead - you know what I did? I said ''Oh, sorry, sir, are you in a rush? come, you can stand in front of me'' :) the guy was so confused that he left. Perhaps he was embarrassed. Kindness over rudeness.
jyy

Post by jyy »

The source of this stuff is often bullying, normally projection. For instance, if a person is slow in school, then he/she will pick on a mentally challenged person. It's very pathetic behavior. :(

So how would you guys deal with people who are obviously projecting insecurity - making other lives miserable so they can feel better about themselves?
tallulah

Post by tallulah »

Some would say the best way to deal with a rude person is to walk away. This is not true in some cases. Sometimes, a rude individual have no clue they are being rude. And oftentimes, the best way to deal with them is to tell them right away they are rude. Especially if you are in a country where there's a different culture and you might say something which is considered to be rude or offensive. This is why you need to object when someone is being rude.
kgord

Post by kgord »

I think you have provided some excellent information. I do think generalized frustration is at the root of most rudeness. I think it helps to remember the person being rude may not mean it in a personal vein. They simply may be frustrated with a situation that has nothing to do with you, and instead of handling it with those that may have caused the situation are taking it out on you as a convenient target.
Pink_Turtle

Post by Pink_Turtle »

tallulah wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:32 am
Some would say the best way to deal with a rude person is to walk away. This is not true in some cases. Sometimes, a rude individual have no clue they are being rude. And oftentimes, the best way to deal with them is to tell them right away they are rude. Especially if you are in a country where there's a different culture and you might say something which is considered to be rude or offensive. This is why you need to object when someone is being rude.
Good point I think sometimes you NEED/ CAN tell them they are being rude but sometimes it's not a smart idea because you don't know how they are going to react. what if they become physical -yes, like they try to hit you- after all they are rude people. So I guess you need to value the situation too because if it's a person you are never going to see in your life again why bothering with confrontation?
jyy

Post by jyy »

I would try to ignore rude people as much as possible. Nonetheless, though, it's often difficult to escape them. In that case, you would have to take a stand somehow. However, you have to determine which response is the wisest given the situation.
overcast

Post by overcast »

Rude people are in need of attention and also want power over other people. And for this reason they are always in mode of controlling others. As you can see that it can't be always disputed. You have to find out the means through which you can keep distance. Not giving them much attention and not playing by their rules is the only way this can be handled. I have found that more you give them attention and play by their rules, you'd have ongoing problem with them.