Dealing with difficult bosses

Blow off some steam, come in and rant
TheReason
Articles: 0

Dealing with difficult bosses

Post by TheReason »

How do you deal with difficult bosses, unclear instructions, nasty comments and high expectations? Only once in my life, I had this type of boss (by that time, I was working in an office. Nothing teaching-related) and I would get everything already stated and more. My usual way of going was trying to work as quickly and flawlessly as possible, and keeping a low profile. I worked very seldomly since my boss was very demanding of me. Have you ever had this kind of experience? How did you deal with it?
overcast

Re: Dealing with difficult bosses

Post by overcast »

I think if one is in desperate situation then tolerating the boss is the only option sadly. However one should always look for the work to get done.I have found that just playing by the rules in this phase works. Though sometimes you will enough of it already. And that should be something you can do too. But it'd be helpful you can make use of the contacts and try to get yourself job in other place in such case. Sometimes leaving the place is the option to end the suffering.
fishmonk

Post by fishmonk »

From my personal experience, I find it important to be patient.It is very important not to add oil to the fire by talking back.I always try to make the discussion positive by referring to 'us' and how 'we' can do better.Additionally, do not make unrealistic goals when promising your boss. I find my current boss to be difficult but he is just and notices my efforts to contribute.
iyanpol12

Post by iyanpol12 »

We cannot control the situation. We might have some good bosses, oftentimes, they were hard to deal with. The best response to these kinds of bosses is hard work and achievements. You may just being challenged by your boss. If you did everything and you achieved a lot, yet your boss ignores and discredit you, there is something wrong with your boss.
Dracostar1

Post by Dracostar1 »

I really haven't experienced something like that, but my advice is too simply confront your boss about the issue for more clear instructions. If that is too difficult then I suggest asking one of your coworkers for help. If that doesn't work, maybe talk to the higher ups.
jyy

Post by jyy »

I think the best solution is to find a different boss, especially in the teaching biz. However, though, that's not always possible or wise, so in that case, you'd have to make compromises.

Anyway, I do know that a bad relationship between the management and the workers is a major problem in the ESL industry.
NicholasMukuha

Post by NicholasMukuha »

According to the Christian bible, Proverbs 15;1 says that a polite/ gentle answer turns a way anger, but harsh words cause it to flare. The buddha also teaches this, where he says that in order to attain the noble eight foldpaths, one of the moral virtues you need is right speech. Therefore, while dealing with harsh bosses I believe the key to win them over is through polite responses. In cases where a harsh answer seems inescapable, then silence is the way to go.

Another thing I can suggest, is for one to always make sure that they have completed their required duties with a lot of punctuality and with the accuracy of an atomic clock. This is because, if they find a defect in one's work, they actually magnify it and even tend to remember past mistakes.

Last but not least, I believe prayers move mountains. Therefore it's best to pray for them to be more understanding, so as to create a friendly working environment.
augusta

Post by augusta »

I think mist bosses put on this difficult mien just get people to do their jobs and not just doing it but doing it well.

Dealing with a difficult boss entails being hard working,being respectful,being punctual to work,working smart and being diligent.

You just have to go extra miles for a difficult boss to applaud you.
HeatherAshley

Post by HeatherAshley »

Luckily Im a freelancer so I dont really have a boss only clients. But my friends have and most of the time I am the one pushing them and giving them advices how to deal with it.

First, know specifically your job description so if your boss gets a little a hard on you by playing powerful you'll know when you are being used or taken for granted. And you could take or ask management action or legal action to that

2nd, ask them nicely if you dont understand clearly the instructions, it is better that way even if he/she give you insults because of that, just shake it off at least you'll get to do your job the right way and you'll avoid a further emotional damages he/she could put on you.

3rd, give them respect afterall no matter how monsterous they are on you, they are still your bosses.

Lastly, an employee that knows how to do their job right and a very hard working one is a treasure for the bosses, they will see through you if youre keeper and will surely give you insentives on everything you do properly.
Nemmy2012

Post by Nemmy2012 »

This depends on how badly you need the job. If you don't need it that badly, you can always quit. But you should never quit on bad terms. A great letter combined with a dignified resignation is always the way to go. An angry, fiery violent exit from a place of employment always looks bad.