Tackling beliefs

Blow off some steam, come in and rant
Dracostar1
Articles: 0

Tackling beliefs

Post by Dracostar1 »

When I say beliefs I am mainly referring to religious, non religious and spiritual beliefs. Have you ever got into a heated argument with someone concerning with your belief system? I have a couple times when I was a little younger, unfortunately. Do you believe there is any point to these religious vs non religious arguments? Whether it be between two random people on the internet or between two grown, knowledgeable individuals debating for their own side? I think it would be better to simply find the answers for yourself by studying more of the subject from different sources instead of letting others tell you what is right or wrong. It also irks me that on either side, there are people who think they are doing me a favor and say they are just trying to help me or "speaking the truth".
iyanpol12

Re: Tackling beliefs

Post by iyanpol12 »

At times, you have to defend what you believe in because some people cross the line when they give criticisms. But there are some people who doesn't have humility and will never listen to you. In that instance, you don't have to defend. End the argument because it will lead to nowhere.
TheReason

Post by TheReason »

Unless someone's really interested in your beliefs, I don't see the point in explaining to them anything. Sometimes people just want to pick on you. They're not really interested in listening to you, they just want you to lose patience and get angry with them, or just humor them. Don't try to explain to someone who's not ready to listen to you, that's my opinion
Dracostar1

Post by Dracostar1 »

TheReason wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:24 pm
Unless someone's really interested in your beliefs, I don't see the point in explaining to them anything. Sometimes people just want to pick on you. They're not really interested in listening to you, they just want you to lose patience and get angry with them, or just humor them. Don't try to explain to someone who's not ready to listen to you, that's my opinion
True, though even if they are interested, it is usually just to poke more fun at the person. I unfortunately let my pride get me into these sorts of situation, which I am trying to control.
jyy

Post by jyy »

I was in this phase where I was a born again Christian and I ran into this western atheist in South Korea (a co-teacher). He was really throwing it at me. However, though, this hate was mostly political I think, masquerading as religious. Anyway, he was angry cause W. Bush won the election and W. Bush was noted to be a big Christian, and, in fact, a few of his remarks actually were demanding a step outside. :)

But looking back, all this stuff seems comical, but at the time was very rude, but it didn't attract a lot of my attention because I had been transferred somewhere else and the whole excitement of being in another nation for the first time was my main focus.
JoeMilford

Post by JoeMilford »

I generally try to be very careful and pick my battles cautiously when it comes to getting into religious discussions. I am always respectful of others' belief systems, but I have an aversion of being preached to, judged, or condescended based upon someone else's religious inclinations or proclivities. Often, I have found that people are very set in their ways when it comes to religious beliefs, so trying to have open-minded conversations with certain people regarding this topic is quite difficult.
Suavecito

Post by Suavecito »

I for one agree to what you have said. Usually I don't get into an argument if I don't fully know the subject we are going to debate or argue about. Nevertheless, all you need to remember when in an argument is to listen to the other person about his opinion on the specific topic, whether it be religious or non-religious. It's okay to be in a debate as long as you respect each other in the moment. Sometimes you win the argument, sometimes you learn.
augusta

Post by augusta »

I have never argued with anyone about my belief because I don't even give such chance to anyone.I believe in what I have conviction for. Nobody can tell me what to believe in.

I believe there's a supreme being guiding the affairs of men.I believe in the super natural and nothing can change that.
Nemmy2012

Post by Nemmy2012 »

I don't care who or what people believe in. Just so long as they don't try and force their beliefs onto me. If they can agree to those terms, and respect my personal space - then we'll get along just fine.
geoffrey09

Post by geoffrey09 »

Whether you're a christian, muslim or atheist you must respect one's religion. It doesn't matter if that religion teaches that or not we must all strive to be a better person in this world. There are a lot of good people i know living and do not believe in a supreme being or a God. So living a Godless life is not an excuse to do horrible things.