Pampered Foreigners and Ridiculous Complaints

If you can't find a category then this is the place to ask!
jyy
Articles: 0

Pampered Foreigners and Ridiculous Complaints

Post by jyy »

On the comedy Cabin Boy, it tells the tale of a little rich prep-school brat who gets on the wrong ship and is surrounded by really dirty low-life sailors who absolutely - will not bow down to him, and in fact, pick on him. :D

Anyway, I see many similarities to this movie and foreigners who complain online about other nations. Well, I mean, some complaints are justified, like the ones dealing with social justice, but others often very weak. For instance, they might make some shallow complaint about the food or the fact everything isn't "exactly" as it is back home. :|
JoeMilford

Re: Pampered Foreigners and Ridiculous Complaints

Post by JoeMilford »

I know from my ex-pat friends that a major compliant regarding Westerners is their pampered first world attitudes. I am sad that a lot of the world has come to expect this from Americans, especially, and I try to represent myself in a very different way wherever I go in my travels. I am always polite, humble, and appreciative, no matter what country I am travelling through, and one must always keep in mind the importance of local cultures and local economies while traveling and working abroad.
Dracostar1

Post by Dracostar1 »

I honestly have little sympathy for those who look down or belittle others because of their financial status or where they are from. That comedy sounds like a good does of karma for the boy. The complaint about the food one really is shallow, if you don't like then don't eat it.
iyanpol12

Post by iyanpol12 »

In another forum website where I am posting, there's a blogger who is an American, posting his link to his blog and then expressing his hatred towards Filipinos. His blog was called "Philippine Fail". The owner is an expat in the Philippines. The articles and forum posts were mostly insinuations and criticisms towards the country as well as traits of Filipinos. It was very annoying as he go overboard with his posts. I responded and told him to go back to his country.
TheOtherSide

Post by TheOtherSide »

Different countries treat foreigners differently, it's not always a Cinderella story of some sort wherein the locals would treat you as prince and princesses. Some foreigners are even treated undesirably while others of much regards and praises. I think most Americans and Europeans are well treated in most Asian countries especially in the South Eastern part. While Asian counter parts visiting The Americas and Europa have a much rougher experience travelling abroad.
jyy

Post by jyy »

iyanpol12 wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:41 pm
In another forum website where I am posting, there's a blogger who is an American, posting his link to his blog and then expressing his hatred towards Filipinos. His blog was called "Philippine Fail". The owner is an expat in the Philippines. The articles and forum posts were mostly insinuations and criticisms towards the country as well as traits of Filipinos. It was very annoying as he go overboard with his posts. I responded and told him to go back to his country.
As noted in another thread, a big problem with foreign criticism is hypocrisy. Note, every negative thing spoken about the Phillippines or some other country has to be examined closely. For instance, if some people are saying Thai people are racist against black people, then they would have to deal with the fact similar racists exist in their own nation of Australia, UK, or wherever.
iyanpol12

Post by iyanpol12 »

jyy wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:45 am
iyanpol12 wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:41 pm
As noted in another thread, a big problem with foreign criticism is hypocrisy. Note, every negative thing spoken about the Phillippines or some other country has to be examined closely. For instance, if some people are saying Thai people are racist against black people, then they would have to deal with the fact similar racists exist in their own nation of Australia, UK, or wherever.
Exactly! Racism exists everywhere else. It is something we cannot easily stop. In fact, in the Philippines, many Filipinos loves white people, and even black ones. Though admittedly, there are some instances in our language that can sound racism to others, but not really intended as that.
Clara1993

Post by Clara1993 »

Hallo I agree with you that some foreigners' complaints are just ridiculous like food is not the same of course it can never be the same, But if I complain about customer care and say Hey in Dubai they have a poor customer care, that is not ridiculous that is serious if my home country we care about customers and make them priorities then why not compare them and let them know something is wrong if they talk to clients while chatting on whatsapp and sometimes make you repeat again and again!
augusta

Post by augusta »

This is really a call for concern,it will really sad and racism is everyone even online.There are even some sites that I can't even browse through,let alone getting a job from there.

I just hope this attitude ends soon
amitkokiladitya

Post by amitkokiladitya »

Every country gives different experiences to different tourists. Moreover, each and every person differs with his style of vacation. Things which appear good for one might not appear pleasing to the others. Different people have different experiences of the same place and under the same conditions.

I agree that there are occasions when tourists face really bad situations. It is really sad and shameful when they have to face some kind of crime or robbery. But, mild inconveniences on general things like food and transportation should not be given much priority. On top of that, posting comments on social media and publicizing the issue is not justified. A small child like behavior acts as a big setback to the tourism industry.