Is Knowing Local Language necessary?

Ajarns, share your knowledge and ask your questions
SpellBound
Articles: 0

Is Knowing Local Language necessary?

Post by SpellBound »

As a teacher from another country, who barely know the local language, how will he/she fair in indulging in conversations with the students? Is speaking English considered funny or weird as in some other countries?
TheReason

Re: Is Knowing Local Language necessary?

Post by TheReason »

I think it should be mandatory to at least know a little bit of conversational local for teaching. It's a great way to connect with the students, plus there are always those subjects that need to be explained in local, especially on the most basic levels. Not knowing the language can become an obstacle
AccountingProf

Post by AccountingProf »

I've had some experience teaching in a foreign country for one semester. It was a bit hard at first, not knowing their local language/dialect. But if you have a good grasp of the English language, you'll be fine for a bit. You should be able to express yourself well in English in order to be successful in teaching in a foreign country. I usually felt a bit out of place whenever they were talking about something and they were using their native language when conversing.

As the days gone by, I vowed to get acquainted with their local language. I purchased a local dictionary and studied it. By the middle of the semester, I could use a few simple local words and incorporate them while I was lecturing to the delight of the class. I still could not speak their native language fluently but I could understand a bit of what they were saying.

If you don't want to have a hard time in a foreign country, it's better to learn their language first before going there. If not, it's important that you learn their local language on your own or have someone that you get close to teach their language to you.
overcast

Post by overcast »

I think knowing local language is added advantage. This way you can understand the local students thinking pattern. And you can understand how not to teach them. The culture and language difference does play role while being taught by native English teacher. In that context, i'd say it'd be better if you learn local language. You can find that it will also help you as a teacher on personal level if you plan on living in that place.
JoeMilford

Post by JoeMilford »

Obviously, knowing the local language is always a plus. I have found that, even as an English teacher born and raised in an English-speaking country, confidence is very important in the classroom, and a lack of understanding and using the local language can really affect your potency as an instructor. When you start to feel a huge disconnect with your students, that gap can cause a great deal of anxiety which communication, knowing the language, could alleviate.
jyy

Post by jyy »

The language wasn't a problem during my stretches in the Phillippines and South Korea even though I could speak native languages in neither nation. Nonetheless, it always helps to know the native language and possibly people would respect you a lot more.

Anyway, I did pick up some things. For instance, I could sound out the Korean alphabet and knew some Korean words.
Ol Timer

Post by Ol Timer »

In my experience knowing the local language is not necessary at all when it comes to doing your job as an English teacher. As a teacher in Thailand I am discouraged from speaking any Thai to the students, rather they want the students to be immersed in the English language. On another note, you absolutely need to know a bit of Thai to live there. Knowing the basic phrases could greatly enhance your experience when it comes to doing everyday things. You will get a lot more out of your experience in Thailand if you learn some Thai and chat with some of the locals. of course you don't need to be fluent.
iyanpol12

Post by iyanpol12 »

If you are a foreigner, it is essential to learn the local language. It might not be necessary, but learning the language is a plus when teaching your students. Likewise, it is easier to communicate on the locals if you know their language. Being a Filipino, there are similarities with Thai people with the looks. Knowing their language, makes you a bit indifferent from Thais.
Bluerose

Post by Bluerose »

It's necessary to learn at least simple words that are being used often everyday like for example Good morning, Good evening, Hi, Thank you & Welcome.
overcast

Post by overcast »

How long you plan to stay in the country? That part decides the local language issue. If you are planning to relocate here forever for the rest of your life. Or say for 10 years. Then sure you may need to learn the local language. The reason being you would have lot of issues trying to go through local language issues. And for this reason I think local language definitely helps. Especially for the teachers and the business owners who want to establish themselves among the local people. It's not hard to learn if you are quick learner.