Getting the Students to Talk

Ajarns, share your knowledge and ask your questions
jyy
Articles: 0

Getting the Students to Talk

Post by jyy »

Even a super gifted comedian cannot get certain students to talk and that situation is literally hell - cause you're sitting there staring at a student who isn't having a fun time - and both of you would like to leave. :(

Anyway, the solution seems to be more prepared material, but a lot of times there isn't enough stuff to make up for the fact your in a small class and there are no extroverted students to break the ice. Oh, by the way, who ever said class clowns were always a bad thing?
TheReason

Re: Getting the Students to Talk

Post by TheReason »

Most students that don't talk in the classroom are just kind of too shy and scared of making a mistake. In my case, I always tried to make a special connection with those students specifically, so they could talk freely without thinking that I (or any other classmate) would judge them. It's also good to encourage that kind of connection with the whole classroom among themselves.
Rossy

Post by Rossy »

Not everyone is social. Some students might not be shy but totally not social. These students won't talk if you don't talk to them first. The best thing to do with such students is to understand who they really are. Do not expect to to start a conversation , do it instead to give them an easy time with you.
Dracostar1

Post by Dracostar1 »

Class clowns are usually seen as a bad thing because they usually disrupt the class or make fun of students and the teacher. I would have to say try to let the shy ones get out of their shell first on their own. Try to talk to them in between classes or maybe put them in small groups for assignments if necessary.
tata143

Post by tata143 »

Students have different attitude and style in the way of learning. Some students adapt so fast while others find it hard. When students are afraid to talk maybe it`s because he or she not so social or probably shy. We should put extra attention to this kind of students for them to gain self-confidence to express their feelings. We should give them more time to talk about things they like or interested with. We should praise them in every task they finished and remind them how good they are. Eventually, these students will be participating and initiate to start a conversation.
alexanderzx360

Post by alexanderzx360 »

The most important thing is encourage your students to talk and take part in your class. I've learned that the best way to do that is letting them know that if they participate regularly in your lessons, they can get some extra points on an exam or in general. That way it's not completely obligatory but they will be very interested in reading and learning before the class so they can join in. Also try not to make your teaching boring! Be very active during classes, change your way of teaching regularly, show them pictures, videos and all kinds of stuff!
Pink_Turtle

Post by Pink_Turtle »

With this sort of student I just help them a little more, I approach his/her table and try to explain the answer he/she should give. Sometimes they just block themselves because they are terrify they'll make a mistake and that's normal because the other kids are mean to them sometimes. After that I encourage them to give the answer I just explained and I congratulate them.
fishmonk

Post by fishmonk »

I remembered having an English teacher who made the whole class want to participate by offering some items as rewards. We were split into groups and we had to do some sort of presentation involving all students. That was the first time I saw some shy kids in the class open up and participate.
Pink_Turtle

Post by Pink_Turtle »

fishmonk wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:41 am
I remembered having an English teacher who made the whole class want to participate by offering some items as rewards. We were split into groups and we had to do some sort of presentation involving all students. That was the first time I saw some shy kids in the class open up and participate.
:lol: I did this once! I brought some cookies and tell them that I will only give a cockie to those who participate in the class.I had some extra money that day so I bought the cookies but you can't do this every day. That day a lot of students participate if not all of them. At the end I give a cookie to each on of them but it was a insentive for the shy ones to participate...
fishmonk

Post by fishmonk »

Yes, we cannot do this too often. However, this step should be able to kickstart some enthusiasm from the students. The shy ones will take some time to adjust. This is why we need to make the effort to create an interesting and interactive environment for them to learn and participate. It all depends on the experience and teacher personality too.