Class brat (and their parents)

Ajarns, share your knowledge and ask your questions
TheReason
Articles: 0

Class brat (and their parents)

Post by TheReason »

I think we've all had that student who thinks he/she is the best just because they have money/power (even when they're not the brightest or smartest). They do the minimum effort in class and misbehave and then get mad when they fail the class. When you want to deal with it with their parents, you find out they are exactly the same as their children. How do you deal with this? It's one of the most difficult situations I've had.
Dracostar1

Re: Class brat (and their parents)

Post by Dracostar1 »

I really haven't come across someone in person who thinks they are better than someone else because of money or power. However, I would simply do what you can to aid the student and convince the parents to help their child as well. If they refuse to comply or put more effort in, then all you can do is give them the grade they deserve.
jyy

Post by jyy »

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencen ... story.html

OK, what is the solution? How about a reality check? :) That could come from classmates, law enforcement etc..
Rossy

Post by Rossy »

I have been a victim of dealing with such people. My entire high school life I felt like I never belonged anywhere. I schooled in a school where almost every other kid was from a rich background. I wasn't from a rich background, this made my social life a hell. I talked to my parents to get me to a different school where I could blend in easily but they didn't understand the need to do that. This affected me so much mentally and affected my over all performance in school as well.
jyy

Post by jyy »

From what I've heard from another poster (on another forum), it seems to be the case that in her country, certain rich kids get away with whatever they want - because the teacher is afraid their parents will cause them to be moved to a bad location. That's pretty pathetic in my view. :x I wonder if there is a way a teacher can fight back?
amitkokiladitya

Post by amitkokiladitya »

Some people prefer to live in their own world. A world made by them where they consider themselves as a supreme power ruling the world. Such people are always an irritating stuff who completely lack basic basic reasoning and validation.

As far as kids of such families are concerned, they usually imbibe what they see. They are a completely spoiled species who lack all manners and etiquettes. The best way is to keep warning them and their parents. In case there is no improvement then it is better to transfer the case to higher authorities and let them deal with the situation as they want.
Pink_Turtle

Post by Pink_Turtle »

I have never come across this type of student in the past, because I generally teach students with a lot of economic needs, sometimes they tell they didn't even had breakfast because their parents are saving food for lunch, to make a single meal... But I guess I would just grade them as they deserve and that's it.
augusta

Post by augusta »

I'm a high school tutor and I have encounter some students like this.I reprimand them and caution them.Letting them know the consequences of being naughty but if all fails, I report to the school authority and strict actions are taken.