Teacher's Pet

Ajarns, share your knowledge and ask your questions
jyy
Articles: 0

Teacher's Pet

Post by jyy »

Many people think it's wrong to have them. Nonetheless, it's inevitable some students will be drawn to the teacher more. Anyway, perhaps this situation is fine - to a certain extent, of course.
Pink_Turtle

Re: Teacher's Pet

Post by Pink_Turtle »

I think it’s inevitable having a favorite in class after all we are only humans and we can’t avoid liking some kids better than others especially if they are good in the subject you teach! But I wouldn't call them "teacher's pet" I found it degrading for the kid. Also I think it’s important not to let it show that much because there are two possible scenarios: 1) The other kids may feel bad about it and start picking on the kid or 2) the other kids might want to get really good in your subject to gain your attention too but experience has teach me that the first one is the most common reaction in them. So let's be careful!
AccountingProf

Post by AccountingProf »

Are you a teacher who currently has a student considered as a teacher's pet? Or have you ever been one or known one? When I was a student, I kind of hated teacher's pets. I used to think that they were being nice and helpful to teachers just because they wanted to gave good grades.

But now that I'm a teacher, I kind of like teacher's pets! Lol. It's nice to have somebody who would carry some of your books to class or help you set up the projector and such. It's quite convenient to have a teacher's pet around. The only problem here is that you tend to give bias for teacher's pets which is of course wrong. I agree that there should be limit when it comes to teachers and teacher's pets.
TheReason

Post by TheReason »

Having a favorite can't be helped. We form a connection with all our students but with some of them, the connection is stronger. That doesn't mean that those students will get special treatment or anything. It just means that you're special to someone young and they kind of look up to you. We all had a special teacher. It's really nothing new
Dracostar1

Post by Dracostar1 »

As long as you don't give them any sort of special treatment then I see no problem with it. Everybody wants a little admirer every now and again, so as long as the student is well-behaved and does his work there is no real issue. Unless the student is simply trying to boost up their grade with their act, then you'll problem have to break the cold news to them.
jyy

Post by jyy »

AccountingProf wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:48 am
I used to think that they were being nice and helpful to teachers just because they wanted to gave good grades.
Oddly enough, some so-called teacher's pets are not getting good grades - despite the effort. I mean, there were classes I struggled in, but I also was friendly with the teacher. Therefore, I think a lot of the resentment is based on a false assumption and/or perhaps jealousy.
TheOtherSide

Post by TheOtherSide »

There will always be one or two from among the class that the teacher will be most pleased and comfortable with. It is most likely that they have some things in common or have known each other or just simply neighbors. But it doesn't always mean that the student receives more or is treated well more than his/her classmates. It is not always viewed negatively, but should be avoided because some students will feel uneasy and would even resort to calling the attention of the principal for that matter.
iyanpol12

Post by iyanpol12 »

This is unavoidable at time. But being a teacher, you should be at least try not to show you favoritism. It will be for the good of you and the students. If you will show favoritism, it can put your reputation at risks. If you will not show favoritism, your students will be more motivated instead of complaining. Be fair to everyone, so you will also get respect from your student. Instead of learning, it will create walls between you and the students if you will show favoritism towards someone.