Political Problems with Your Homeland

If you can't find a category then this is the place to ask!
jyy
Articles: 0

Political Problems with Your Homeland

Post by jyy »

http://teachlivethailand.com/board/view ... p?f=9&t=23
Off Topic
A bigger problem that culture shock seems to be political hostility. Note that I was in South Korea during the W. Bush years and the hate was over-the-top, mainly fueled by Bush's stance against North Korea, but also due to more troubling things like the US Army running over Korean schoolgirls. Anyway, the disrespect given to 9/11 was the most shocking.

How should a foreigner deal with possible attacks on pride? Do you feel that Americans or others who complain too much overseas are being oversensitive and, well, "complainers"? I mean, they come from advanced first world nations with power, so why should the reaction of people of other nations, ones that probably have been cheated over the years, be something shocking?
overcast

Re: Political Problems with Your Homeland

Post by overcast »

I think any country is allowed to have patriotic opinions. We should think of immigrants as guests until they get the citizenship. And after that they have to think of new country as their own country. So people taking conservative opinion in wrong way should be doing some introspection. As you can see that people need to understand that every country has it's set of problem. And one has to keep patience while maintaining local relationships. As they say when in rome, do as romans.
jyy

Post by jyy »

I think a big problem lies in the fact certain people "rub it in". Note, that's why so many people have had bad experiences with other ethnic groups. I mean, for instance, some criticism is understandable, but again, is the situation of kicking sand in one's face.

But you know, there is no need to be oversensitive. Nonetheless, the countless racists in the world account to the fact, a lot of people simply cannot ignore it or get over it. ;)
iyanpol12

Post by iyanpol12 »

I saw a blog from an Australian and other foreigners complaining about Philippines, as well as their hate towards the country's current president who has high approval rate of 82% from the citizens. The president was much loved by the majority. But the mainstream media has been demonizing him. And the said foreigners who were expats in the Philippines, has been overly critical with the Filipino people, as well as the president. Those foreigners are better to go back to their own country because of their disrespectful attitude.
jyy

Post by jyy »

iyanpol12 wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:51 pm
I saw a blog from an Australian and other foreigners complaining about Philippines, as well as their hate towards the country's current president who has high approval rate of 82% from the citizens. The president was much loved by the majority. But the mainstream media has been demonizing him. And the said foreigners who were expats in the Philippines, has been overly critical with the Filipino people, as well as the president. Those foreigners are better to go back to their own country because of their disrespectful attitude.
A big problem with judging the politics of other nations is hypocrisy. For instance, if some feel the Phillippine government is "too rough", then they should look at their own nation and see if they do similar things. That would be the case with the US, but maybe not certain other countries.
iyanpol12

Post by iyanpol12 »

jyy wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:41 am
iyanpol12 wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:51 pm
A big problem with judging the politics of other nations is hypocrisy. For instance, if some feel the Phillippine government is "too rough", then they should look at their own nation and see if they do similar things. That would be the case with the US, but maybe not certain other countries.
Hypocrisy is the word. I remember an American in the country who is not critical of our present government because he even hates the kind of government they has. One of the reasons why he stayed in the Philippines. But funny how his American friends living in their own country lambasting on the kind of government Philippines has. But that expat in the Philippines defended that the country has better government now compared to thpose previous administrations.