The Hiring of the Unqualified

Ajarns, share your knowledge and ask your questions
jyy
Articles: 0

The Hiring of the Unqualified

Post by jyy »

This problem has caused a load of problems in South Korea and the schools would not make up for the deficit with training. I mean, at least if they're going to hire amateurs, then serious training should be in order. However, though, it isn't the case and the result is a disaster beyond belief. For instance, a lot of the teachers would encounter massive hate and bullying from locals and students because they place all blame for failure at the foot of the teacher.
AccountingProf

Re: The Hiring of the Unqualified

Post by AccountingProf »

When you say hiring of unqualified, are you referring to teachers who don't have masters degrees? Is that a requirement in South Korean schools? In the university where I'm teaching, masters degree is preferred but not initially required. Instructors without any masters degrees are given 3 years to finish. If they don't finish any masters, they won't get promoted.

Personally, I think that a masters degree shouldn't be a qualification. Why? Because there are a lot of people without masters degrees but are very intelligent and capable of teaching.

However, I do think hiring of qualified workforce is essential in having a highly productive school or university.
jyy

Post by jyy »

AccountingProf wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:29 am
When you say hiring of unqualified, are you referring to teachers who don't have masters degrees? Is that a requirement in South Korean schools? In the university where I'm teaching, masters degree is preferred but not initially required. Instructors without any masters degrees are given 3 years to finish. If they don't finish any masters, they won't get promoted.

Personally, I think that a masters degree shouldn't be a qualification. Why? Because there are a lot of people without masters degrees but are very intelligent and capable of teaching.

However, I do think hiring of qualified workforce is essential in having a highly productive school or university.
I'm not saying they should always hire a Masters degree in English or Linguistics. I'm only saying they bring in people with zero qualifications and then expect them to be "The Miracle Worker".

Well, they want you to talk to them, but an average person often cannot think up enough fresh material to interest them nor strategies to effectively communicate the material that is already there.
Haristar

Post by Haristar »

I think this has become a major problem in a lot of places and it has become a common problem in many places. In my school there are so many young teachers without prior teacher training were recruited because to fill up the vacancy and pressure from the education board. They were not worried about the quality of the education being affected. This has to be changed by assigning some strict rules.
amitkokiladitya

Post by amitkokiladitya »

If we are talking about a teaching degree then I think it should not be a compulsion. Any person with a deep knowledge of the subject and with an ability to teach and handle kids should be hired. The hired teachers should the be given sometime to get the required qualifications.

I have seen that even the most qualified persons can turn out to be bad teachers. It is not about personal knowledge a teacher has but about his ability to impart his knowledge to his students and at the same time develop their interests in the study.
fishmonk

Post by fishmonk »

It is important for a teacher to have some sort of certification to be able to teach. Qualified workforce is necessary but sometimes HR has problems to hire teachers. This is where the problem starts. As some of you have mentioned, qualified teachers do not necessarily translate to 'good' teachers. It's important to know the students initial proficiency.

Sometimes, what a student need is actually teachers who make learning 'fun'. There is a high risk of poor performance if you send an unqualified teacher to teach students who are going to attend some sort of public exams. Another point is that students have the choice to attend tuition externally thus their attention during normal school lessons might be affected in some way.
Rossy

Post by Rossy »

I think hiring the unqualified is a major problem that is affecting the world as large today. I have seen it happened in a case where a deaf interpreter had no idea of what he was interpreting. He had no idea on the sign languages and their meaning but he's was still hired on a national TV . This left people wonder how it came to happen.
coffeebeans

Post by coffeebeans »

As a parent,and if I would choose to place my children in an educational institution, there are three things I will hold the school accountable:

● Police clearance. Profiled and vetted by federal authorities to make sure the teacher is law-abiding.

● Has trained and completed all Education Degree diploma. And has love and value for young inquisitive minds.

● She/he is teachable and is willing to learn from her/his students. And is not confused with his or her biological gender pronoun.

But, I have chosen to homeschool, instead.
Ol Timer

Post by Ol Timer »

Haristar wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:27 pm
I think this has become a major problem in a lot of places and it has become a common problem in many places. In my school there are so many young teachers without prior teacher training were recruited because to fill up the vacancy and pressure from the education board. They were not worried about the quality of the education being affected. This has to be changed by assigning some strict rules.
I agree that it would be perfect if all teachers were fully qualified and of top quality. However, have you heard of the saying "you get what you pay for"? most of the teachers without experience are hired because they can be paid less. Also, places like Thailand are not popular for high teacher salaries, so generally won't attract the best teacher (meaning most qualified). Places like the Middle East that are known for paying high salaries usually attract more qualified teachers. This is not to say some private schools in Thailand don't have highly qualified teachers.