How do you deal with talkative students?

Ajarns, share your knowledge and ask your questions
TheOtherSide
Articles: 0

Re: How do you deal with talkative students?

Post by TheOtherSide »

It's only normal for pre-schoolers and elementary students to be talkative at times, because they are still not used to sitting and listening for like 3-4 hours a day. And young students are just adjusting themselves and it's hard really so they tend to talk to their classmates and have chit-chats. During that times, it is understandable and some what tolerable. But for a college student to be in such a state inspite of well, having been in junior and senior high school plus some elementary years, I think he/she must have a really behavioral problem of some sort. I mean if elementary and high school didn't change him/her a bit, I suppose there's nothing can be done here. But if you are really into changing his/her attitude, I think you can have a personal talk with that person and try to persuade him/her.
Dracostar1

Post by Dracostar1 »

I would simply ask them to leave the classroom. They are not only be disrespectful to you but my be disrupting the other students. They are paying to learn, not talk. Point that out to them and possibly give them warnings if necessary.
amitkokiladitya

Post by amitkokiladitya »

It is really hard to manage talkative students. Most of the times they reside on their own world and don't render an ear to the surroundings. They simply won't improve irrespective of the innumerable warnings that are given to them.

I think the best resort is to turn them out of the class. Give them a last warning and if they still do not mend their ways then simply show them the door. It is important to mark them absent as well. Sooner or later they will definitely bear the cost of their misbehavior.

There is no doubt that their academic performance will suffer. Talking in between the lecture disturbs the entire class, breaks the rhythm and leads to serious disruptive behavior. For me it is mandatory that the class is well managed so I always keep such students out of my class. This helps me to maintain the decorum and positive aura as well.
fishmonk

Post by fishmonk »

I would ask the student who talks to go in front and be my partner to demonstrate languages. After using this trick one, most of my students did not dare to talk as they did not want to be demonstrating since they are easily embarrassed.
Haristar

Post by Haristar »

I recently finished my graduation so I can understand your pain when students keep on talking and distract others who are attentive. My professors do the same thing as you do because they cannot be yelled or punished because they are young adults. If professors punish them everybody looks at that like a childish move by the professor which is bad for his/her reputation. Sorry to hear this. I think by making the class interesting like presentation, sharing some of your funny moments in college life, or taking a break by indulging in some fun activity can keep them interesting and listen to you better. :) Good luck.
augusta

Post by augusta »

Most back bencher students are talkative, So what I do is to bring them to the front seats,Sometimes change them from where they're sitting to sit with a total stranger in the class to avoid talking. I also adopt the punishment of standing for such people during lessons.
ballyhara

Post by ballyhara »

Keep them busy! Usually I have plenty of activity worksheets, puzzles, crosswords, to help me out. The other method I have is the "reward" time. So, basically I ask them to pay attention when I'm explaining something, I ask them to focus their attention and participate. If they do collaborate, then I give them 10 minutes of reward time to do something they want, like playing cards, using their cellphones, chatting about something off topic. So, far they are learning to wait for this time, so they know they have to be patient until they can take their "reward".
Rebelssis

Post by Rebelssis »

I used to have a teacher in the university that would keep our attention to the class from the beginning. She randomly chose someone in every class to explain an exercise, or pass to the board and solve the exercise. She gave extra points to the ones that always intervened in class with supported arguments. I think that's a pretty good method to keep the attention of the class and make the talkative students to attend to the class and not talk a lot about random topics nonrelated to the class.