Are clothes expensive in Thailand?

If you can't find a category then this is the place to ask!
Corzhens
Articles: 0

Re: Are clothes expensive in Thailand?

Post by Corzhens »

I used to own a boutique that's why I can say that Bangkok is a shopper's haven when it comes to clothes. Nice clothes for a cheap price is definitely a steal. Whenever we would go to Thailand, I always bring my folding bag for the extra baggage that I can fill with clothes of all kinds. For $2, you can buy jeans, shorts and tops. Double that amount and you can have classy dresses, jogging pants, sweatshirts. For men, leather belts sell for $2 to $5 depending on the style and make. And what's great in Bangkok is the location of our hotel which is right there in the street market. That's why I can shop to death since the hotel is just a few steps away.
Wizkha2

Post by Wizkha2 »

I've never been to Thailand, but I'd never think clothes were expensive there! I think because it has to be imported from other countries, and I know it because in my countre in South America all the clothes you find are imported from another country, mainly from the US. It's a sad thing to know because when I visit a country I always bring clothes from that country as a souvenir. :(
SimplyD

Post by SimplyD »

ballyhara wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:16 pm
Not completely sure about it, but a friend went to Thailand about 2 years ago, he was carrying Euros and apparently the money exchange was pretty good for shopping. Of course he didn't buy on boutiques or malls, I'm talking about local vendors, flea markets, home made merchandise. He ended up buying a couple of dresses, 6 blouses and 2 pants for the price of 3 pieces back in Europe. Quality was ok, not excellent, but he did noticed a lot of replicas of famous brands. He also told me, merchandise is very similar around places, difference is just couple of dollars, not big deal to buy from one or another, but vendors do bargains if you ask for them.
I think when one wants to have lots of items to shop with a budgeted money, then one should go to local shops instead. My friends who went to Thailand gave me blouses and they were beautiful and made of cotton, yet they were cheap as they told me. They bought it from those boats with blouses and things to sell.
I like to go there someday, because I would like to shop blouses and maybe bags too, someday. Besides, I would like to ride the elephant too.
SimplyD

Post by SimplyD »

overcast wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:59 am
The thing is that when you go to the street shop. And when the owner realizes that you are a foreigner. Then they are going to raise the price a bit. Also in such case you can see the prices are often inflated in some regions. So you have to find out alternative places. You can try the local e-commerce sites. But those are not cheap either. So overall it can be expensive to buy clothing in Thailand. You can try your luck in some of the small town clothing shops, they may have it for cheaper than city prices.
So they too raise the price when they see that you are a foreigner. Well, that happens here too in the Philippines. But if you know our language, you can haggle with the things being sold and get the goods for a cheaper price than what they have quoted to you.
The locals would think that being a foreigner where their dollar is equivalent to 50 pesos per dollar, they can afford even if the price is quite expensive.
Ol Timer

Post by Ol Timer »

A lot of clothes are made in Thailand so they will be very cheap. Counterfeit brands are also widely available for cheap. Big companies such as Nike have factories in Thailand and if you know the right people/places you can get authentic Nike gear for very cheap. Bangkok is actually a destination for businessmen from all over the world, Wholesale markets such as Pratunam and Bobae Tower sell bulk clothes for cheap. I'm talking about plain t-shirts that cost 15 Baht(less than $0.5 USD).

Example:
IMG_2972.jpg
IMG_2972.jpg (70.38 KiB) Viewed 10844 times
overcast

Post by overcast »

SimplyD wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:19 am
So they too raise the price when they see that you are a foreigner. Well, that happens here too in the Philippines. But if you know our language, you can haggle with the things being sold and get the goods for a cheaper price than what they have quoted to you.
The locals would think that being a foreigner where their dollar is equivalent to 50 pesos per dollar, they can afford even if the price is quite expensive.
Yes currency conversion does help for the foreigner to spend money on. But considering a lot of local expensive make things burn dollars quickly. So even if they can afford it, it's fair for them to ask for the reasonable price. And as you can guess that's one more reason they may prefer to buy online in that case. As the prices online are lot cheaper than road side for them. I'd say that we should avoid taking advantage of the people just because they are foreigners. Because that cycle repeats itself to each other eventually.
SimplyD

Post by SimplyD »

Ol Timer wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:27 am
A lot of clothes are made in Thailand so they will be very cheap. Counterfeit brands are also widely available for cheap. Big companies such as Nike have factories in Thailand and if you know the right people/places you can get authentic Nike gear for very cheap. Bangkok is actually a destination for businessmen from all over the world, Wholesale markets such as Pratunam and Bobae Tower sell bulk clothes for cheap. I'm talking about plain t-shirts that cost 15 Baht(less than $0.5 USD).

Example:
IMG_2972.jpg
Rich Filipinos ( nationals of the Philippines) would go to Bangkok indeed to visit and enjoy there, but they want to compensate for their expenses in going there, by buying lots of nice blouses, bags and accessories and have them sold at their stalls in malls. They find them cheap there, so when they sell them here in the Philippines, it is of course with mark-up but still we find it affordable,
Domingotarlejr

Post by Domingotarlejr »

My friend took his ojt in thailand and he said buying clothes in thailand cost you less but buy you more because of its cheap price without sacrificing its quality. Here in the Philippines you can buy a plain shirt for 100 pesos to 140 pesos (2 to 3 usd) a big difference with the .5 dollar shirt in thailand.