Cheapest and safest mode of transport

If you can't find a category then this is the place to ask!
amitkokiladitya
Articles: 0

Cheapest and safest mode of transport

Post by amitkokiladitya »

As a tourist what is the cheapest mode of transport available in Thailand. In addition to the cost factor, it should be safe as well as easily accessible. Booking a cab every time is really expensive and can be a big burden on the holiday expense.

Whenever I go on any vacation, I prefer to cut down the travelling expense so that I can explore the maximum number of places. So what is the most economical means of traveling in Thailand, both locally and across the states.
Bluerose

Re: Cheapest and safest mode of transport

Post by Bluerose »

We used taxi because I felt it's not safe to ride a tuk-tuk especially if you are not a local, other than that we used to walk because you can explore your surroundings.
Corzhens

Post by Corzhens »

We also took the taxi for traveling in Bangkok. It is pretty cheap although some taxi drivers would ask for an add on to the fare. We have been warned of the Tuktuk, the 3-wheeled cab. You can be fooled to pay excessively, said the tour guide. But other than that, the Thai people are generally honest and helpful to the tourists. When the weather is not so hot, we prefer to walk for short distances. You can save money for the fare and see the sights at the same time.
Ol Timer

Post by Ol Timer »

The cheapest and safest mode of transportation are buses, but they are not convenient. They are safe because they are always full of people and they don't drive fast, but you don't wanna be stuck on a bus during Bangkok traffic jams. I would say just go for taxi's, they are not expensive around $10 for 35 kilometers. Make sure to always ask for meter before you get in, even though most of the drivers are honest, some would not turn on their meter so they can ask for higher price once you reach you destination. Plus as a tourist you are more likely to get lost on a bus and may end up having to walk long distances or eventually taking a taxi.
kgord

Post by kgord »

I think as a complete newbie to the area I would want to take the taxis. I think I would feel a little intimidated trying to use the bus and other than a short distance, I don't think I would feel comfortable using a tuk-tuk. I think that taking advantage of local taxis would be the best thing to do if you are completely new to the area. You might have be a bit careful not to over pay however.
overcast

Post by overcast »

Tuktuk seems to be the cheapest. I won't say it's the safest though. Lot of people do have their share of issues with tuktuk. And for this reason I'd say they are only cheap and often the quick. You can get cabs here. Make sure you know the rates of the cabs when you do go. Because often some of them may take you for longer ride. And this way you may end up giving more money. So there are some things to watch out when it comes to cab. You don't find the system like the Uber and others here as of yet. Typical town has yet to get that much progress. So you'd find the tutktuk as better option here.