Differences between Thailand and USA

If you can't find a category then this is the place to ask!
mjustes
Articles: 0

Differences between Thailand and USA

Post by mjustes »

This post is for anyone who has been to both the United States, and Thailand. What were some of the biggest differences you noticed in the two countries? Any large similarities that stuck out? Where are you originally from, and how did you come to travel to these countries?
overcast

Re: Differences between Thailand and USA

Post by overcast »

US is more paranoid compared to Thailand. For example playing with kids in Park can lead to the potential case on your if parents complain. In case of thailand you can play with kids say football and any other game. You don't have much paranoia and legal cases just for looking at people. On that point US is more strict. Small things are taken very seriously in US. In case of the Thailand that seems to be not the case. And it surely changes the way you can have more fun in the thailand compared to the USA.
Tania997

Post by Tania997 »

overcast wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:57 am
US is more paranoid compared to Thailand. For example playing with kids in Park can lead to the potential case on your if parents complain. In case of thailand you can play with kids say football and any other game. You don't have much paranoia and legal cases just for looking at people. On that point US is more strict. Small things are taken very seriously in US. In case of the Thailand that seems to be not the case. And it surely changes the way you can have more fun in the thailand compared to the USA.
I totally agree with you, in the US they try to make everything look like some big case. They usually care so much about small things that they'll lose sight of the bigger problem. You can have fun in a lot of ways because you have much more freedom, the law won't always be after you. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the US, it just looks like they're obsessed with control lately when they were the ones talking about a free country. I'm not saying I should do as I please when I'm there, I'm just saying they should just let people live their lives. In Thailand people are also not so quick to judge you like in the US, the etiquette about a lot of things is really different.
kgord

Post by kgord »

That is interesting to note, however, the US is such a big country that you can't paint all areas with the same brush. Some communities are warm and welcoming whereas others are more uptight and controlled. Things are much different in the big cities then in other parts of the country. I do think the US is probably more rigid than some of the other parts of the world.
JoeMilford

Post by JoeMilford »

I think that the comments here regarding the U.S. are very interesting. The way the media works in the U.S., as opposed to how it works in Thailand, is pretty over the top, and it encourages sensationalism and over-reaction among the people. A lot of this is a news strategy to increase advertising and revenue, but I think it is harmful to the American people and that it does create a sense of paranoia.
overcast

Post by overcast »

Tania997 wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:24 pm
I totally agree with you, in the US they try to make everything look like some big case. They usually care so much about small things that they'll lose sight of the bigger problem. You can have fun in a lot of ways because you have much more freedom, the law won't always be after you. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the US, it just looks like they're obsessed with control lately when they were the ones talking about a free country. I'm not saying I should do as I please when I'm there, I'm just saying they should just let people live their lives. In Thailand people are also not so quick to judge you like in the US, the etiquette about a lot of things is really different.
I agree that they do say it is free country. However they seem to have so many micromanaged laws. That is' really hard to have a free experience. That's one more reason many americans are migrating here. If their free country were to be less micromanaged and controlled through laws, I don't think they would ever come to Thailand for any experience. They'd have lot to enjoy in the US itself. But in reality they are going through social changes just like Thailand. But I think humanity, neighbors helping and empathy is more strong in Thailand compared to the US.