Thai Meals and total cost per day?

Transportation, accommodation, food, clothes and everyday things
SpellBound
Articles: 0

Thai Meals and total cost per day?

Post by SpellBound »

Hey friends, could you please share your estimate on how much three times a day thai meals with some snacks cost for an average eating person? I have visited Thailand a couple of times but the payment was by a tour agency. So I couldn't get the proper price of food items in Thailand. :?:
fishmonk

Re: Thai Meals and total cost per day?

Post by fishmonk »

Hi, Spellbound. Perhaps you could be more specific on your question. Which specific area in Thailand are you referring to ? Depending on the type of tour, the tour guide might have brought you to different areas to experience Thai cuisine. Are all of these restaurants equipped with air-conditions ? Do note that tourist hot spots do charge more expensively.
AccountingProf

Post by AccountingProf »

Haven't gone to Thailand yet, but the University that I'm currently teaching at is planning a team building activity there specifically, in Phuket. I'm kind of excited because I've heard that the street food is great! I've watched some videos on YouTube about people eating Thai street foods and my mouth watered! What is the range of cost of street food there?

Aside from street food, I also would like to know the following:
- what is the specialty food in Phuket?
- what are the best restaurants (not fast food chaints) in Phuket?
- what is the average expected cost per person if we would eat at a restaurant in Phuket?

Thank you for the response. ;)
kgord

Post by kgord »

I think there have been some good questions asked on this thread. I would think that the cost of Thai food would likely depend on whether you were getting it on the street, or as part of a sit down meal in a hotel or something. I think food is likely to cost more in tourist areas that the areas where people are likely spending money.
Ol Timer

Post by Ol Timer »

If you are living in Thailand and not staying in tourist areas then I got some numbers for you.
1. A plate of rice and some stir fried vegetables would be 30-50 Baht.
2. A bowl of noodles and meat would be 40-60 Baht.
3. A general plate consisting of rice vegetables and meat + fried egg (yes fried eggs on everything) would be 50-80 Baht.
4. A drink would cost a 10-20 Baht.

Before you think this is all so cheap, wait. Portions in Thailand are smaller than those in Europe and North America, another thing is that the eating culture in Thailand is different, people don't just order one plate and eat it for lunch, rather they order a couple of different plates as a meal. I would say 60-120 Baht per meal is the norm.
Rossy

Post by Rossy »

Ol Timer wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:40 pm
If you are living in Thailand and not staying in tourist areas then I got some numbers for you.
3. A general plate consisting of rice vegetables and meat + fried egg (yes fried eggs on everything) would be 50-80 Baht.

Before you think this is all so cheap, wait. Portions in Thailand are smaller than those in Europe and North America, another thing is that the eating culture in Thailand is different, people don't just order one plate and eat it for lunch, rather they order a couple of different plates as a meal. I would say 60-120 Baht per meal is the norm.
On the extreme side, 120 Baht is equivalent to 4USD. I think this is fair enough for a lay man. Thailand is a cheap place to go for a vacation. With a few dollars you could visit the place and have much fun.
overcast

Post by overcast »

If you are a vegan then you have lot better budget control as far food is concerned. You can get bottled water for 10 baht. And you can get noodles and rice for say 30 baht respectively. More cost if you choose to eat at more hygienic places. Some street food places are worth going for but often they may have non veg so for some tourists and immigrants, that may not be a good choice. I suggest sticking with noodles and rice if you can't think of anything specific to eat. You also have McDonalds and other american food chains with some local taste, which you can get around.
Hannahinez

Post by Hannahinez »

Ol Timer wrote:

Would you say the portions are more filling? Then it would make sense why the portions would be smaller. For someone like me, I think the price would be cheap. However, this depends on if the cost of living is cheap in Thailand. Since you said you pay more for smaller portions, that indicates more inflation. I am curious about this aspect. I read below it is pretty cheap to vacation there. I guess for a US tourist with more valuable money, it would be cheaper. The menu sounds good to me as well.
kgord

Post by kgord »

It does sound like it is quite affordable to eat in Thailand. That is one of the good things about this country, and South East Asia in general. I like gaining information about Thailand and it is very helpful to know the costs of living there. Thank you for posting this information it is helpful.
Ol Timer

Post by Ol Timer »

Hannahinez wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:27 am
Ol Timer wrote:

Would you say the portions are more filling? Then it would make sense why the portions would be smaller. For someone like me, I think the price would be cheap. However, this depends on if the cost of living is cheap in Thailand. Since you said you pay more for smaller portions, that indicates more inflation. I am curious about this aspect. I read below it is pretty cheap to vacation there. I guess for a US tourist with more valuable money, it would be cheaper. The menu sounds good to me as well.
I wouldn't say the portions are more filling, the opposite is more likely. I think in general Thai people don't eat as much as North Americans and that's why their meal portions are smaller. For example look at the cloths sizes in Asia, their Large is a U.S medium, people are typically smaller physically. I think that is why their food portions are smaller. Just my humble opinion.