Is nightlife allowed for a serious teacher?

So, what happened last night?
SpellBound
Articles: 0

Is nightlife allowed for a serious teacher?

Post by SpellBound »

Hey is it good for a teacher to indulge in the waves of nightlife delights while still working in an educational institute? Will the institute dismiss or suspend a teacher when caught partying? I mean is there any strict rules by which the institute prevents teachers from having excessive fun? Kindly share your views on this topic.
fishmonk

Re: Is nightlife allowed for a serious teacher?

Post by fishmonk »

From what I have heard from my expat friends, they do not take issues with your nightlife as long as you do your teaching well and work professionally. However, do not get too wild until you have to be dragged to the police station. The teachers which I mentioned are teaching in private education institutions. Do get clarity on the terms and conditions before committing to the employment contract.
Ol Timer

Post by Ol Timer »

It really depends on what kind of job you have. If you are teaching for a language school then there is no problem with going out and getting wild. Language schools are usually located in city centers and busy areas so people don't really know each other. On the other hand, if you are working for a government school that's a different story. As a government school teacher you have to uphold a certain image. Quick tips, Don't party too close to home, especially if you live in a small community, your night life can easily follow you to work. It is normal for people to show up to your workplace and complain about you, and your Thai boss will take it seriously. Keep in mind that Thai people are generally very chill and it takes a really wild night for you to gain disapproval.
amitkokiladitya

Post by amitkokiladitya »

I don't think there is any such rule which interferes with your personal life until you continue to excel professionally at your workplace. As far as your teaching and dedication towards your students is perfect none of the management will raise any issue.

Weekends are the perfect time for a night party. The only added advantage is that of not getting up early in the morning for reaching the school. Moreover I feel that a person must enjoy his personal as well as professional life. So I find no harm in doing so.
iyanpol12

Post by iyanpol12 »

It depends on the school where you are teaching, and the contract you had signed. Some teachers do not read the contract (as it might be lengthy), but it should not be ignored. But for a teacher's discretion, one might avoid it to be able to set a good example for their students. However, you still have your life, and you have the right to enjoy. In Thailand, they will not restrict you to avoid some places or activities, but still depends on the school. But if it's me, I try to avoid it not because it is prohibited, rather, I am not into such activities.
JoeMilford

Post by JoeMilford »

Most people have told me that teachers can have more fun in their night lives in Thailand than they can as opposed to teaching in the small towns they live in in America. As a college professor, especially in a small college town, you will invariably run into your students when you are out and about, so you always have to display a certain kind of candor. I have heard that Thai culture is a bit more relaxed about it.
overcast

Post by overcast »

I think often teachers are held at higher moral standard in any Asian culture. So you may have to watch out what you say and do be it day or night. In case of casual bar and club life won't be an issue. But you may have to usually do that in another city instead of the same city. This way you can maintain more private life away from the professional life. I know many expats are doing this and keeping boundary between the two activities. Often having boundary helps personal life the most.
fishmonk

Post by fishmonk »

overcast wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:14 am
I think often teachers are held at higher moral standard in any Asian culture. So you may have to watch out what you say and do be it day or night. In case of casual bar and club life won't be an issue. But you may have to usually do that in another city instead of the same city. This way you can maintain more private life away from the professional life. I know many expats are doing this and keeping boundary between the two activities. Often having boundary helps personal life the most.
I agree with this statement. Teachers are pretty respected profession. I would say it's important to maintain a good image.You would not want to have a reputation of being a party-goer. Asian parents do consider your image when making judgements. I have heard some parents who would request for their children to transfer classes as they have a bad impression of their teacher.
overcast

Post by overcast »

fishmonk wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:08 am

I agree with this statement. Teachers are pretty respected profession. I would say it's important to maintain a good image.You would not want to have a reputation of being a party-goer. Asian parents do consider your image when making judgements. I have heard some parents who would request for their children to transfer classes as they have a bad impression of their teacher.
This is not just Asia specific but with any other country too. We don't trust drunk drivers when we get the cab. We don't like it if the kids bus driver has the drinking habit. So the same applies for the teachers. Many parents are concerned about this sort of stuff. So it's always better to go away from the city you are working and then have fun. This way you are less likely to cause issues for yourself and others be it nightlife or even for vacation.
NicholasMukuha

Post by NicholasMukuha »

Some of my friends, including I had a very simple question. Why would a teacher, teach us about how much we shouldn't drink and smoke, yet he himself would be doing the very same things at night, after work? If there is someone that students look up to in life, its their teacher. Therefore I believe, avoiding to engage in nightlife, is one of the sacrifices teachers should make, in order to display an image that the students can copy and apply.

Furthermore, a teacher, should have enough sleep so that they may be able to deliver, the next day. Engaging in night life, might cause hangovers which would interfere with their duties, due to forgetfulness or even lack of interest. Just like monks give up cravings, or Catholic fathers give up marriage, even teachers should give up nightlife. However, that's just an opinion from me.