How do you connect with students from other cultures?

Ajarns, share your knowledge and ask your questions
TheReason
Articles: 0

How do you connect with students from other cultures?

Post by TheReason »

I used to play the name game as an icebreaker (a funny game in which you have to say your name, and an adjective that starts with the same letter: Victuous Victoria, in my case). This was with students from my own country. I was wondering, how do you connect with students from other cultures? What kind of icebreakers do you use?
overcast

Re: How do you connect with students from other cultures?

Post by overcast »

Discussing about local movies and the food can be one good ice breaker. This applies to any culture though, not just asia. You can discuss about food and the type of food which tourists and travelers prefer. In that context, you can see that students would love to share their opinion on it. For example, I used to discuss about movies and anime. That really helped me connect with students interests too. And using that as a tipping point, you can localize concepts while teaching.
jyy

Post by jyy »

Different cultures are not as different as you think. Kids are basically similar everywhere and also most of the world is pretty much in the modern age. In other words, everywhere has video games, Western fast food, Hollywood movies etc..

Anyway, there always could be problems connecting, nonetheless. However, I guess that's life. I mean, there will always be political disagreements as well as irrational factors at play.
iyanpol12

Post by iyanpol12 »

First thing is, if a certain student leaves in country, I will search in the internet to see what are the trends in their country. I also search about their culture. That way, I can avoid being careless of my words. Another thing is, if it is possible, I will look for their profile on Facebook. I'll try to get more knowledge about them and their preferences. That way, I will get to know more about them. Of course, constant communication with them is very important. Try to feel what they feel. Be sympathetic towards them too. It may not be that easy, but you are able to get along with your students.
Rossy

Post by Rossy »

The most easy way to connect with student from a different culture is by showing interest in their culture. You could show interest my asking questions about how they do things in their country. Talk a little about how different it is from your culture. However , do not make negative comments on other people's culture as it could upset them. People love to learn new things and taking about the two different cultures would be an interesting topic that would help you two bond.