Overcoming culture shock

Ajarns, share your knowledge and ask your questions
Rossy
Articles: 0

Overcoming culture shock

Post by Rossy »

I understand most people who move to foreign a country with a different culture from theirs experience culture shock. Some people might not even notice they are experiencing it but it's good if noticed since it can lead to depression. Culture shock is caused by the fact that one is disoriented from what they were used to( for example your culture and day to day routine ).

Culture shock can be overcome by practicing a few things:
1. Try to know much about the new country you are in. You can read from articles, novels and maybe watch documentaries .
2.Talk to other people who might be new in that country the same as you. Get to discuss on how you feel about the new environment and from the discussion you might get some tips on how to adjust .
3. Try and make friends with some locals. This will help you to adjust to the new environment quickly as they will guide you through on their culture and how things are expected to be done.
4.Try and learn the local language. Well, at least a few words. This will make communication easier and thus make local friends easily. It's fun learning a new language too.
JoeMilford

Re: Overcoming culture shock

Post by JoeMilford »

For me, one of the best ways to get over culture shock is through embracing the culture by showing respect to its people. If you do so, they are more willing to help you to assimilate quicker and to understand ways to interact and interface with the local culture. Try to be open-minded. I also think that forums like this, where we can exchange ideas about ex-pats, also help.
jyy

Post by jyy »

I've lived for long stretches of time in South Korea and the Phillippines, but the cultural shock wasn't much a problem. Nonetheless, though, the food, at least in South Korea, took a time to get used to, though. In fact, at first, I mostly just ate western fast food, but later on I gradually got to the point where I enjoyed the native food better, but of course, occasionally eating western food was a treat.
overcast

Post by overcast »

I think food and transport is where most of the people have culture shock. Rest of the other things are easy to adjust. Once you adjust with the people around, you have to start to adapt to the local food. You don't have to push things though. But at home, you can try your own recipes in that case. Just that when you go out for eating then you have to choose local food. I think some of the food chains are good to start with for vegan dishes.
Pink_Turtle

Post by Pink_Turtle »

I agree when you said adapting to the new food- especially really spicy :oops: food as in Thailand- is one the biggest challenges along with not knowing the language or at least a few words. But I think eventually we all end up adapting. Sometimes I'm a bit afraid I would disrespect them somehow and the idea of not knowing if I'm doing it right or wrong haunts me :shock: :lol: I keep asking locals if "that's ok?" or if I should do this or that. Sometimes simple things like saying hi in a different country can be a challenge if you don't document yourself before you go.
jyy

Post by jyy »

A bigger problem that culture shock seems to be political hostility. Note that I was in South Korea during the W. Bush years and the hate was over-the-top, mainly fueled by Bush's stance against North Korea, but also due to more troubling things like the US Army running over Korean schoolgirls. Anyway, the disrespect given to 9/11 was the most shocking.
kgord

Post by kgord »

I think you have to get used to any new environment and Thailand would be one of these. I agree though that you need to do some preparation prior to going to minimize the shock factor. I think you can talk to natives and non natives, view documentaries etc, but no matter how much your prepare yourself there will always be surprises.
goldlady

Post by goldlady »

Hello! Thank you so much for sharing this precious information. Culture shock is one of the things I am more worried about since the moment I decided to go to Thailand for a year. I have never been in Asia so I think it won't be that easy. I will follow your advices for sure!
goldlady

Post by goldlady »

Hello! Thank you so much for sharing this precious information. Culture shock is one of the things I am more worried about since the moment I decided to go to Thailand for a year. I have never been in Asia so I think it won't be that easy. I will follow your advices for sure!
iyanpol12

Post by iyanpol12 »

Not really shocked upon reaching Thailand. Since I am a Filipino, there are similar traits from our country and Thailand. Though, of course, there are differences, but they can be dealt with. Thailand is still a beautiful place to live and work in.