Am I a Troll?

Not sure if you are? come in and find out
Will IT
Articles: 0

Am I a Troll?

Post by Will IT »

Here is how you know if you are a Troll or not. If you answer "yes" to any of these points then you my friend are an internet Troll.

Do you like to insult people in your comments and posts?
If your answer is yes then you are a Troll. This forum does not exists for people to hurl insults at others. Any form of insult will not be tolerated on this platform. Please be respectful to others.

Do you like to argue for the sake of arguing? Troll!
Yes, if you like to challenge everything others say for the sake of arguing then you are a Troll. Challenging someone on every sentence even those which are not related to the topic is not productive. We encourage productive debates which readers can benefit from. Always think "what benefit does what I am writing have?".

Grammar Nazis are Trolls.
I know that most of the people here are involved in the education field, and at times it is hard to control yourself when you see "to" instead of "too" or "their" instead of "they're". This forum is laid back, there are people from all walks of life coming asking questions, as long as you understand what the person means there is no need to correct their grammar. Please understand that this is not your classroom. However, there is an exception, if you do answer someone's inquiry and spend the time to offer help, then you can correct their grammar and get it out of your system. Do not leave a comment just to correct some's grammar.

Do you know everything? Do you like to let people know that? Troll!
You do not know everything. You may believe that you know more than most people, but ponder this "Work hard in silence, let your success be your noise".

Do you like to use profanity and ALL CAPS? well, no one else does.
There is really no need to ever use profanity on this forum. If your vocabulary doesn't allow for you to leave a post without using profanity then please use this tool http://www.noswearing.com/ to filter your post. Also, don't forget your caps lock on, nobody wants to read a post in all caps.
Leave meaningful posts/comments.

No one word comments. "lol", "ok" and "yes" should be expanded. Explain yourself and clarify your points.
Stay on topic.

I know it's tempting sometimes to hijack a post. If you have something to say that is not related to a thread then just start a new thread. People want their questions answered not to see people ask another question in their thread. It is common courtesy.

Spammers, Spammers, Spammers, kings of Trolls.
At this point if you are using the internet and don't know what spamming is then there is no hope for you. Spamming is sending a message to the largest number of audience by copying and pasting messages into random threads. This will result in an automatic ban,
tallulah

Re: Am I a Troll?

Post by tallulah »

I love this topic. This is such a great way to approaching and dealing with online bullying. Trolls are online bullies who deliberately go around hurting other people with their words and actions. Sometimes, a troll does not know he/she is one. So I say well done for this approach!
Dracostar1

Post by Dracostar1 »

Wow, I don't think I ever seen a thread like this. It is an interesting approach to tackle trolls and may just be effective. I honestly think however that those who do fit this criteria my not be so willing to admit that they are a troll. Still, this is not only good for those who are trolls but may be victims of trolls themselves.
Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg »

Seems like trolls are everywhere. It is inevitable to avoid them since they come in different kinds of forms lol. Those are good points to distinguish an internet troll. I myself know how to spot a troll. One of their characteristics is the one you said that they will always make an argument about everything.
fishmonk

Post by fishmonk »

We can expect to find many 'Trolls' on the Internet. Despite the long post, I think it's a good reminder for people to monitor their own online social behaviour. Remember this line , 'what you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others'.
It is also essential for us not to get triggered by trolls. Trolls usually crave for attention and they will get happier the more you respond to them.
jyy

Post by jyy »

Spammers are often machines not people. In fact, possibly 90 percent or more are bots. In that case, there is no need to ban them, but rather install mechanisms during user registration to stop them. However, as mentioned in another post, it seems like questions and particularly, words asked backward, seem to do the job.

Oh, by the way, Grammar Nazis are also annoying on certain forums - just as healthy ones are. However, though, to some level their right (depending on the situation), but you get my drift.
JoeMilford

Post by JoeMilford »

After reading this forum, I am proud to say that I am, in no way at all, a troll. I have always displayed "netiquette", and even if was in my nature to be mean or harassing, I simply do not even think I would have the time to devote to that because I am so busy just worrying about bettering myself--not bulling others. People deserve your respect, and there is no place for these bad behaviors in person or online.
kgord

Post by kgord »

I do not believe myself to be a troll. I will keep all troll tendencies in check. That is a great discussion by the way. It is important to know what not to do on a forum as well as what to do. It was a great discussion on troll behaviors. I think be nice! is a good thing to remember and will nip troll behavior in it's infancy.
jyy

Post by jyy »

Some forums permit a bit of name-calling, but obviously not this one. Anyway, that's not a problem, though, cause different forums have different styles. It all depends on what sort of audience you're appealing to. In fact, some forums are specifically trying to appeal to the weird and/or bad boys.
iyanpol12

Post by iyanpol12 »

Is that the real meaning of a Troll? I admit, I am doing some of those mentioned here. But does that make me a Troll? I don't think I am. If that's the meaning of a Troll, then many of us were Trolls. If you are reading comments on social media, you can easily spot the Troll even not possessing those qualities mentioned in this thread.
But of course, in this website, those mentioned should be taken considered of. We are here for healthy discussions that can help everyone, and express ideas and opinions.