Who is to be blamed?

Ajarns, share your knowledge and ask your questions
amitkokiladitya
Articles: 0

Who is to be blamed?

Post by amitkokiladitya »

There are some students who never show any improvement in their performances in spite of all the efforts that are put in.

So my question is that in the case of such students who is to be blamed, the teachers or the parents? Who will be held more responsible for this ignorance?
jyy

Re: Who is to be blamed?

Post by jyy »

Possibly either one of them is to blame or both. Also, the student, himself/herself, might also be to blame. it's really difficult to say, as the factors behind it are often complex. Nonetheless, it is the tendency in some places to blame the teacher - considering it's supposed to be his/her job.
overcast

Post by overcast »

I think it's not about whom to blame. Think of it through psychological aspect. You have to find out the root cause of this behavior. Many times we just want to get rid of the problem on it's face value. But we don't pay attention to what caused the problem at first place. And that's how I think it's bad for the students to get into blame game. We have to find the reasoning behind their actions and then divert them into something rational action.
Lunga

Post by Lunga »

I have to agree with Overcast. The question shouldn't be ''who is to be blamed'' because that's actually completely unproductive. In a way, it's counterproductive because you aren't doing anything to truly help the student or improve/find where the real issue is. Blaming will always lead to fighting and we know that fighting is pointless. There's no winner when it comes to it.

So, instead of shifting the blame I believe that we should rather focus on trying to work together - teachers and the parents. It's important that these two aspects of pupils life work hand in hand and cooperate. Only then, you can make actual real progress and any future improvements.
jerickgwapo910

Post by jerickgwapo910 »

Both actually, if we are to see the situation , Both Parents and Teachers have their responsibility. Parents are the first teachers so the parents must first teach their children about the right attitudes. Nurture VS Nature, we cannot deny the fact that nature does influence the growth of the child also. And as a teacher, it is a challenge to us to find a good strategy to catch the attention of our students for them to learn. Their future depends on us also, we are the bridge to their future and we must do what we can to educate them.
Dracostar1

Post by Dracostar1 »

I would have to say both, It is a teacher's job to aid their student the best way they can and give all the help needed, however that is only at school. It is the parent's job to properly discipline their child and make sure they are doing what they are supposed to. A teacher can only accomplish so much on their own. However, as many already stated, who to blame isn't the issue. The reason behind it is more important as well as how to fix it.
amitkokiladitya

jyy wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:45 am
Possibly either one of them is to blame or both. Also, the student, himself/herself, might also be to blame. it's really difficult to say, as the factors behind it are often complex. Nonetheless, it is the tendency in some places to blame the teacher - considering it's supposed to be his/her job.
I completely agree with your last statement. It is a natural tendency of many parents to keep blaming the teachers for their child's poor performance. I completely decline this attitude.

I feel that teachers can act a guide for his students but it is the prime responsibility of the parents to make the kids learn. Until the parents themselves put in efforts a child can never excel in his studies.
JoeMilford

Post by JoeMilford »

This is such a complicated question, and it has been a question that all teachers who truly care about their students have asked at one time or another. I think that the answer to this question varies upon the individual student and the individual situation. There could be family, cultural, economic, psychological, or emotional issues hindering the learning process, and this is different for everyone.
amitkokiladitya

overcast wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:03 am
I think it's not about whom to blame. Think of it through psychological aspect. You have to find out the root cause of this behavior. Many times we just want to get rid of the problem on it's face value. But we don't pay attention to what caused the problem at first place. And that's how I think it's bad for the students to get into blame game. We have to find the reasoning behind their actions and then divert them into something rational action.
I agree with what you said. But practically the scenario is not this. Sooner or later all of us end up in the blame game.

As far as hunting for the root cause is concerned I think it is the prime responsibility of the parents. Teachers can only act as a guide. I'm saying this because no one understands his child better than his parents. Moreover a teacher has the responsibility of many kids on his shoulders so to focus on any particular child is not possible.
overcast

Post by overcast »

amitkokiladitya wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:21 am
I agree with what you said. But practically the scenario is not this. Sooner or later all of us end up in the blame game.

As far as hunting for the root cause is concerned I think it is the prime responsibility of the parents. Teachers can only act as a guide. I'm saying this because no one understands his child better than his parents. Moreover a teacher has the responsibility of many kids on his shoulders so to focus on any particular child is not possible.
I agree that parents understand the kids better. And you can see that some of the time we have to understand how we are coming across as a guide instead of outside influence. The thing is that blame games don't solve the problem. It is only meant for the conclusion of the stuff that is being around. I think we have to take some patience and put some psychology into this topic.