Geography of Thailand

If you can't find a category then this is the place to ask!
kgord
Articles: 0

Geography of Thailand

Post by kgord »

I must confess I know little about the geography of Thailand. Are there any mountainous areas in the country or is it all lowlands and coastal areas? i know some areas are a bit higher, as I heard of people going to higher ground to escape the Tsunami. How high is the higher ground in Thailand? I apologize if this has been answered before.
jyy

Re: Geography of Thailand

Post by jyy »

It has a mix of mountains and plains - with the mountains being in the north. However, the main city of Bangkok is on a large plain on the southern coast.

Anyway, one interesting thing involves the fact that Thailand is the only land route connecting the islands of Southeast Asia with India and China.
kgord

Post by kgord »

That is interesting. I didn't know that they were connected at all. I guess I am going to have to have a solid look at a map of South East Asia. Thanks for responding. It is always good to get a message! I have heard of the Humong mountain people but don't think they are in Thailand.
jyy

Post by jyy »

kgord wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:36 pm
That is interesting. I didn't know that they were connected at all. I guess I am going to have to have a solid look at a map of South East Asia. Thanks for responding. It is always good to get a message! I have heard of the Humong mountain people but don't think they are in Thailand.
I don't think they are totally connected, only partly. It's similar to how Russia and the US are sort of connected near Alaska.
kgord

Post by kgord »

OK, there may be a strait between them or something. I will take a look at it when I have some time. Unlike the inhospitable Bering sea, I guess travel by boat might be able to be done between countries..but I am assuming passport checks would be done at some point! I think Thailand would be very interesting to visit at some point.
jyy

Post by jyy »

kgord wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:36 pm
OK, there may be a strait between them or something. I will take a look at it when I have some time. Unlike the inhospitable Bering sea, I guess travel by boat might be able to be done between countries..but I am assuming passport checks would be done at some point! I think Thailand would be very interesting to visit at some point.
Russian and US relations aren't so great. :cry: I'd probably prefer to do a boat trip from Thailand and Malaysia.
goldlady

Post by goldlady »

It is so good to know you have diversity in Thailand! Usually you only see beautiful beaches and stuff. Thailand is so much more than that. Thai highlands, for an example, are simply wonderful. Thank you for the information!
kgord

Post by kgord »

Yes, I agree with that, Thanks for posting. Typically when I think of Thailand, I think of beaches, jungles, elephants and the streets of Bangkok. Mountains in the area are something you just don't hear about. It is good to know they are there.
iyanpol12

Post by iyanpol12 »

I am familiar of Thailand even when I am still at my grade school because I have an Atlas where I used to look at and determine where a certain country is. Thailand is actually in between of Myanmar, and Laos and Cambodia, at the region of Southeast Asia. It is among those countries on a part of Asia called Indochina peninsula. I think Thailand is mountainous in some areas particularly in northern part, and the southern part are beaches because it lies on a coast, and they boasts beautiful beaches.
TheOtherSide

Post by TheOtherSide »

Thailand ranks among the top travel destinations in the South East Asian region. For one, the beaches are one of the most sought after in the world, especially in Phuket. They also have beautiful architectural wonders including The Grand Palace located in Bangkok. The Chiang Mai region provides wonderful view for the nature lover with their famous jungles and mountains.