Taking Sides in National Rivalries

If you can't find a category then this is the place to ask!
jyy
Articles: 0

Taking Sides in National Rivalries

Post by jyy »

In South Korea, teachers are often pressured to hate Japan and sometimes the US. However, though, some teachers might not have a beef against those nations. In that case, they will either ignore the situation or pretend to hate the said place because they want to be cool. However, though, the latter position is definitely a lie and cowardly.
iyanpol12

Re: Taking Sides in National Rivalries

Post by iyanpol12 »

It often sometimes that teachers were often told, or other teacher themselves demonize certain countries. Like in the Philippines, based on the history, Spain has colonized our country. They were viewed as enemies. The same goes with Japan during the World War 2. But the US seemed considered a good country. The problem is history has been tampered thus created hatred towards other nations.
TheOtherSide

Post by TheOtherSide »

The South Korean government forcing or maybe taking sides with teachers to hate Japan has actually some historical basis in it. I think it's a way of how the government is voicing out it's grievances against passed atrocities committed against it's people by Imperial Japan's occupation of Korea during the 1910-1945 World war. South Korea wanted Japan government to deeply apologized and compensate for the Korean "comfort women" who were force to work as prostitutes during the war.
jyy

Post by jyy »

TheOtherSide wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:15 am
The South Korean government forcing or maybe taking sides with teachers to hate Japan has actually some historical basis in it. I think it's a way of how the government is voicing out it's grievances against passed atrocities committed against it's people by Imperial Japan's occupation of Korea during the 1910-1945 World war. South Korea wanted Japan government to deeply apologized and compensate for the Korean "comfort women" who were force to work as prostitutes during the war.
I'm not saying I think what modern Japan does is good. I'm only stating that I'd rather not discuss the subject, because, for one thing, even though a certain amount of hate against Japan is acceptable, Koreans go way overboard - and they want to drag you into it. :)
TheOtherSide

Post by TheOtherSide »

jyy wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:56 am
TheOtherSide wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:15 am
I'm not saying I think what modern Japan does is good. I'm only stating that I'd rather not discuss the subject, because, for one thing, even though a certain amount of hate against Japan is acceptable, Koreans go way overboard - and they want to drag you into it. :)
Yeah, I agree too. There are better ways of doing things, there are proper forums and proper venue to discuss certain matters of national importance. Governments has diplomats and knowledgeable people which are tasked to do the job. As a citizen, we should just support the government. Doing things deemed unnecessary will only make things worst.
overcast

Post by overcast »

I think one should never take the side. And you can guess that some of the time this taking side may lead to you getting hurt in some way or the other. Not many locals are going to like foreigners jumping into their local matters. In case of liberal locals, they may too understand it's not going to be a good idea. Even for the sake of debate you should avoid doing that. Because there does not seem to be any benefit from such type of the stuff. That being said, most of the foreigners avoid getting into the local government. And that means all they have to do is just focus on their own stuff. This way they can avoid many such local hassles.