Is tap water safe to drink in Thailand?

If you can't find a category then this is the place to ask!
Rossy
Articles: 0

Is tap water safe to drink in Thailand?

Post by Rossy »

Bottled water can be expensive to buy on a daily basis. I know rainwater should be treated before drinking but some times you don't have the time to do it. Anyone who knows about Thailand water sources? Is the tap water clean to drink?
jyy

Re: Is tap water safe to drink in Thailand?

Post by jyy »

https://www.smartertravel.com/2017/02/2 ... s-dangers/

The tap water is apparently dirty because of the fact the pipes are old and broken. In that case, the website even warns against ingesting it while brushing your teeth or taking a shower. Of course, this might be a bit extreme, though.
JoeMilford

Post by JoeMilford »

Honestly, I don't trust the tap water anywhere anymore. I have heard horror stories of travelers getting terribly sick from drinking the water in other countries. You have to be careful of lead poisoning, parasites, and all sorts of other nasty afflictions. Bottled water is expensive, but it's worth it for your health.
Domingotarlejr

Post by Domingotarlejr »

I know water in thailand is safe because its undergo treatment like some other countries like here in the Philippines. But I am not sure if the pipeline is safe to deliver the water. Some pipes maybe old, damage or sometimes breached that may affect the quality of the water. Just to be safe you can just boil the tap water to kill bacterias or if you dont want to you can just buy a bottled water. I think its around 5 baht per 1liter or you can look round your place that you can refil your water bottle from commercial dispensers for 1 baht a litre or about 5 baht for 10 litres just to make sure you drink clean and safe water.. its better to be safe than sorry..
goldlady

Post by goldlady »

I never imagined bottled water could be that expensive in Thailand to consume it on a daily basis. This is one of the things I never considered and I am so happy I read this post. Safe water is one of the most important things to me since I have irritable colon.
jyy

Post by jyy »

On the link, they were discussing the possibility that the bottled water was a scam. Does anyone think it's just tap water put into a bottle? I mean, they said the taste of the bottled stuff wasn't unique.
amitkokiladitya

Post by amitkokiladitya »

This is a big controversial statement. I think the safety levels depend on personal immunity. Some people fall ill by simple exposure to bacteria and germs. So for such people it is wise to opt for bottled water only.

Unsafe tap water can immediately cause gastroenteritis and other stomach related disorders. The risk of water borne diseases also increases manifolds. So, keeping myself safe I always drink bottled water only. Although it is a bit expensive but far less than the cost of medicines which I might have to bear. And as I always say... PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE.
TheOtherSide

Post by TheOtherSide »

If you are not exactly sure whether the quality of your local water consignee is safe for drinking or not, you can always opt for bottled mineral water. You can also boil your tap water to kill harmful bacteria and other bad microorganisms to prevent stomachache and other water borne diseases. If you search the internet, you can even find ways on how to make your own water filtering device for you to make use. But if you lack the time and need it badly, you can always buy locally or online of cheap and portable water filter device. LifeStraw is one, but it's a bit pricey at US $25 or 832 baht.
SimplyD

Post by SimplyD »

amitkokiladitya wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:15 am
This is a big controversial statement. I think the safety levels depend on personal immunity. Some people fall ill by simple exposure to bacteria and germs. So for such people it is wise to opt for bottled water only.

Unsafe tap water can immediately cause gastroenteritis and other stomach related disorders. The risk of water borne diseases also increases manifolds. So, keeping myself safe I always drink bottled water only. Although it is a bit expensive but far less than the cost of medicines which I might have to bear. And as I always say... PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE.
I totally agree. Our safety level can be assessed the person himself since he knows how his immunity level is. That being so, for those who have a sensitive stomach, it is better that they drink bottled water while visiting any place not their own. Even if it is expensive, at least you are sure that your water is safe.
amitkokiladitya

Post by amitkokiladitya »

I completely agree to your point. Every person differs in his level of immunity and doing the wise accordingly is justified. Some of the people have really high levels of immunity and for them the risk factor is considerably reduced. But people like me should always play safe and eat and drink healthy and safe food only.