Is tap water safe to drink in Thailand?

If you can't find a category then this is the place to ask!
kgord
Articles: 0

Re: Is tap water safe to drink in Thailand?

Post by kgord »

As a general advisory it is recommended not to drink the tap water in any foreign country. I would adhere to the practice of drinking bottled water when I am living in or visiting Thailand. It is just one of the things that I would strongly prefer to do when visiting or living in Thailand or any other country for that matter.
jyy

Post by jyy »

You can always boil the water like you'd do if you were on some camping expedition. Also, does anyone think purifying solutions would be cheaper than bottled water? What are the cheapest and/or best solutions and what about some machine which does it?
zheh

Post by zheh »

I think if you really want to be safe in visiting other countries just go for bottled water. Because lets admit it, we cannot guarantee the safety of drinking tap water even in our own country. Theres even a time that it depends on your body if its too sensitive. There are places in a country that we can say tap water are safe and there are places that are not. So its hard to say when we've just visited the place for the first time and we are not accustomed of their sorroundings.
neiltarquin

Post by neiltarquin »

Tap water for me is never safe to drink, not just in thailand but in most Asian countries. If frugality bites, boil the warer from the tap and you can be sure that it is safe to drink.
Wizkha2

Post by Wizkha2 »

I'd never drink tap water, I bought a water filter that cleans the tap water and you can pour it in your glass and drink it even like you would out of the sink. But we do that because we know that is filtered and clean water that is being served by the filter. But no matter the country or the hotel or stricts healthy protocols, I'd never drink tap water, it's dangerous and if better spend some money buying a filter or bottle water than put your life in danger for being thirsty.
Bluerose

Post by Bluerose »

I had been to Thailand but I never tried to drink their tap water. I'm drinking bottled water there so I haven't encountered any stomach discomfort. For your safety use bottled water instead.
Ol Timer

Post by Ol Timer »

No, tap water is not safe to drink in Thailand. Bottled water is available everywhere and is very affordable, generally costing 7 Baht per bottle. If you have not been to a 3rd world country before I wouldn't recommend using tap water to brush your teeth either. Give it a couple of weeks. I don't think the water in Thailand is as bad as India or Cambodia, but it's not as good as Canada or United States(excluding Flint Michigan) :lol:
ballyhara

Post by ballyhara »

I've had very bad issues traveling around, so the theme about water is super important. Getting sick while being out of home is a nightmare, so wherever I go, I try to get bottled water. Please make sure the bottle has the security seal, check the quality of the bottle itself, look at the bottom of it. Usually, when you buy big bottles with about 2 gallons, gets cheaper than the smaller ones. Try to buy them in proper stores, not to vendors on streets and kiosks. Trust me, you will be doing yourself a favor by being cautious.
overcast

Post by overcast »

Based on my experience tap water is not safe to drink in Thailand. In fact you'd have diarrhea, if you are foreigner. Because the stomach may take months to get used to the local water. So I suggest making use of the bottled water for few months. And then slowly adjusting with the local water. Also do understand that you may be used to more pure water from other nations. But things may be different here with the water, so your body takes time to adjust to that.
kylejayr

Post by kylejayr »

If your new to a place , I highly suggest you drink bottled water just to secure yourself from any harm of drinking contaminated water.