Is tap water safe to drink in Thailand?

If you can't find a category then this is the place to ask!
Zeke
Articles: 0

Re: Is tap water safe to drink in Thailand?

Post by Zeke »

Drinking tap water is not safe. Just to make sure buy only popular brands of bottled water. I have heard that some would bottle tap water and sell it. You can defintely get deceases like amoebiasis by consuming it. Which is not really good to happen especially for someone who really likes to travel.
Nemmy2012

Post by Nemmy2012 »

I go by the golden rule of not drinking tap water in most places I visit outside of America. Although in the case of drinking water, some countries have a worse supply than others. Even here in the states, the tap water quality of some areas isn't all that great.
Mario Junior

Post by Mario Junior »

Don't drink tap water in Thailand, stick to bottled water, but don't worry too much about the ice. There's an extensive network of ice factories and they use purified water. It's easier for businesses to use the commercial ice rather than go to the expense of making their own. The good ice is easy to spot, it's tubular in shape.

For the same reason you don‘t drink the water, take care when you‘re swimming in it. Leptospirosis is a bacterial infection that gets into your body through cuts and abrasions when you're swimming, kayaking, and white water rafting. Also known as swamp fever, it was first recognized as an occupational disease of sewer workers.
junrose123

Post by junrose123 »

For my own opinion tap water is not really a safe source of potable water since we all know that it has a lot of chemicals in it to make it usable to people for all around use such as for cleaning purposes, cooking and even drinking for those people that cannot afford to buy mineral water from any refilling water stations out there. I am not really recommending this tap water for drinking purposes because of the harmful toxins that it might have because it uses some metal pipe which would means that it is being prone to any bacteria or contamination later on. I should say that it is only good for cleaning purposes since it can easily be thrown away whenever the tap water is not needed anymore.Besides this kind of water can be recycled in any ways, it will be up to the users on how are they going to make use of it since water now a days is very expensive that is why more people are conserving tap water to make reusable as much as possible.
Ol Timer

Post by Ol Timer »

In general tap water is not safe to drink in Thailand. The water that is pumped out is safe to drink, however it is the pipes that make it unsafe. I know some people that do drink the water and don't get sick. Not everyday of course, just when they are too lazy to go to Seven Eleven to buy water. Brushing your teeth and showering is fine, I've been doing it for years.
ion

Post by ion »

I think it's not safe, much better to buy mineral water, or boil the tap water for about 3 minutes just to be safe. It's really hard to depends on something you don't know specially for the tourist. Instead of enjoying your vacation, you might end up in hospital simply because of just water.
Vinsanity

Post by Vinsanity »

Tap water is not safe in Thailand. You should drink bottled water instead of the ones out from the sink. We know how Thailanders value the rats and elephants. In some instances, when flood occurs, the water in pipes is being contaminated with bacteria from rats' urine and other types of bacteria. We should be careful with these to prevent diarrhea and other waterborne diseases.