Problems with Living in Vietnam

If you have questions about other places in Southeast Asia ask here.
jyy
Articles: 0

Problems with Living in Vietnam

Post by jyy »

I'm wondering if a person from the west can really feel at ease in a nation that technically isn't free. For instance, in Vietnam or China, for that matter, you might find that web surfing is heavily censored and who knows what other laws could land someone in hot water.
kgord

Re: Problems with Living in Vietnam

Post by kgord »

I personally would not like having restricted freedoms. Maybe other people would be OK with this, but I just don't see it as being something that I necessarily would want to put up with. I mean it might be OK in the short term, but for a longer assignment it would not be great.
jyy

Post by jyy »

kgord wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:00 pm
I personally would not like having restricted freedoms. Maybe other people would be OK with this, but I just don't see it as being something that I necessarily would want to put up with. I mean it might be OK in the short term, but for a longer assignment it would not be great.
I don't think it would be as serious as what you'd see in Saudi Arabia, but, nonetheless, you cannot think you're in Japan. Basically, I'm picturing that it would be like in a religious school. In other words, you're being watched.
kgord

Post by kgord »

Yes, and there might be certain restrictions on the content that you can access or download. As a foreigner, I would think you might get a bit more scrutiny than a native maybe. This might be not intrusive, but there nonetheless. Maybe someone could share their experience.
SimplyD

Post by SimplyD »

jyy wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:32 am
I'm wondering if a person from the west can really feel at ease in a nation that technically isn't free. For instance, in Vietnam or China, for that matter, you might find that web surfing is heavily censored and who knows what other laws could land someone in hot water.
I didn't know that web surfing in Vietnam is heavily censored. If that is so, then one shouldn't surf the net anymore, just to be sure that you won't have any problem at all.
I am glad that here in the Philippines, there is freedom in web surfing. Although, cyber bullying can be punished by our law if you say something bad and not true about somebody and reported about it.
So, we are still careful what we say on social media, but not with web surfing.
TheOtherSide

Post by TheOtherSide »

I think there is no such thing as good or bad country. It's just that people have different perspective and different needs and wants in their life. I mean some people would do anything to go to this or to that country for instance because of financial matters while others would be happily working in some areas even if they are mistreated at times. It depends on how you will look at how things are, usually the government is just protecting it's people and it's national interest.
iyanpol12

Post by iyanpol12 »

I've never been to Vietnam, but my sister does. It seems it is fine there. Even some Vietnamese friends, I see nothing wrong. But of course, if you are an expat or a tourist, you should abide with the law. If you are a law abiding citizen, you have nothing to worry. Though there are limitations of course. Anyway, do you know that Singapore can see your online activities like what you post on Facebook, and I think even messages?
TheOtherSide

Post by TheOtherSide »

iyanpol12 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:13 am
I've never been to Vietnam, but my sister does. It seems it is fine there. Even some Vietnamese friends, I see nothing wrong. But of course, if you are an expat or a tourist, you should abide with the law. If you are a law abiding citizen, you have nothing to worry. Though there are limitations of course. Anyway, do you know that Singapore can see your online activities like what you post on Facebook, and I think even messages?
About Singapore, is it really permitted by their laws to spy on people regarding their online activities and messages? Isn't it too much of a personal privacy invasion? With that in mind, I think their laws regarding online privacy is really stricter than any other democratic countries. In some sense, it is helpful most especially in monitoring criminal activities and in prevention of crime, online fraud and other unwanted events arising from online activities.
iyanpol12

Post by iyanpol12 »

TheOtherSide wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:49 am
iyanpol12 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:13 am
About Singapore, is it really permitted by their laws to spy on people regarding their online activities and messages? Isn't it too much of a personal privacy invasion? With that in mind, I think their laws regarding online privacy is really stricter than any other democratic countries. In some sense, it is helpful most especially in monitoring criminal activities and in prevention of crime, online fraud and other unwanted events arising from online activities.
When I was told about it, I was also surprised and I wonder how personal privacy can be monitored by the government. But it seems Singaporean citizens are okay about it, in a sense that they care more about safety. That's why Singapore has very low crime rate. I think that's the advantage.
fishmonk

Post by fishmonk »

As someone who lived in Singapore for quite a long period of time. I am fine with them spying since the crime rates were really low there. I felt safe and secure all the time when I was studying and working there. Having such surveillance technology does protect the citizens from online crimes too.