Trouble with the Law

If you can't find a category then this is the place to ask!
jyy
Articles: 0

Trouble with the Law

Post by jyy »

Thai prison would be no joke and be far more uncomfortable than an American one. In fact, a foreign tourist going to a prison would be literally like going from Park Avenue to being homeless. Anyway, what steps can be taken to avoid a possible run-in with local police?
OneTimeMan

Re: Trouble with the Law

Post by OneTimeMan »

Not breaking the law is always a good way to go. :) But in all seriousness, you probably won't get touched by the police unless you provoke them in one way or another.
Tania997

Post by Tania997 »

Obviously you don't have to get involved in anything shady. I remember reading an article where some corrupt police officers went after tourists, and there is not much you can do there, even if you didn't do anything. Fines are also big over there. If you are in the wrong don't expect mercy, they won't give it to you. Since corruption is high, you could try bribing them if something happens, but that is a big risk.
JoeMilford

Post by JoeMilford »

I think you should always be street smart and aware of your surroundings. Don't let people goad you into fights or situations where things can get twisted and you get blamed being the foreigner. It is easy to stay out of trouble, but once you get into trouble in Asia, especially in Thailand, you are in DEEP trouble, and the authorities have very little sympathy for misbehaving tourists or visitors.
SimplyD

Post by SimplyD »

JoeMilford wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:47 pm
I think you should always be street smart and aware of your surroundings. Don't let people goad you into fights or situations where things can get twisted and you get blamed being the foreigner. It is easy to stay out of trouble, but once you get into trouble in Asia, especially in Thailand, you are in DEEP trouble, and the authorities have very little sympathy for misbehaving tourists or visitors.
Reading this comment would make one so afraid of going to Thailand. Though, if one would abide by their laws, then you need not worry. It would be best that before you go to Thailand you should read about their traditions and laws. That way, you won't offend local as well as foreigners too and be reported to authorities.

Here in the Philippines, the authorities are courteous and not so strict especially with tourists.
Dracostar1

Post by Dracostar1 »

That is quite frightening to hear. Specially considering the fact that people often get blame and thrown in jail for crimes that they didn't even commit. It's a good thing I'm the type of person that keeps to themselves. I better brush up on any strict laws on any country I may visit in the future.
Rossy

Post by Rossy »

JoeMilford wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:47 pm
If you really don't want to break the law then you have to know the law. At least know little about what's expected of you as a tourist in Thailand. Be courteous to people and humble. Do not argue with the police or locals because you would never win over the locals in any case.
jyy

Post by jyy »

It's highly unlikely that a tourist would get arrested in Thailand - unless they were really asking for it. Well, for one thing, a tourist is highly valuable to the economy. In that case, bars, hotels and the like will do all they can to protect him/her and thier money.
TheOtherSide

Post by TheOtherSide »

jyy wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:05 am
It's highly unlikely that a tourist would get arrested in Thailand - unless they were really asking for it. Well, for one thing, a tourist is highly valuable to the economy. In that case, bars, hotels and the like will do all they can to protect him/her and thier money.
Since Tourism is one way by which government collects money, they will do everything to protect the interest of foreigners without sacrificing the dignity of their own people. The government do this to attract more tourist visiting their country and to provide the international community a better impression of what's happening in their country. And the better the Tourism industry is, the more the people will benefit too.
NicholasMukuha

Post by NicholasMukuha »

The law is meant to set us free. How? By knowing our limitations and rights, the we can avoid going overboard, hence landing in trouble. However, as a tourist, visiting another country for just a short time for leisure, it would be pretty inconvenient having to revise the whole constitution of your destined country to familiarize with their law. I have never even read our own.

However, there's some good news. Some laws are the same across board, so there's a high possibility that if you continue to live like you do in your country, you will not get into much trouble. What I would suggest, on my part is, have the right speech. Avoid lying as much as possible, especially if you are a tourist. Remain polite as much as possible. If people know you for your politeness, it could even save you out of trouble.

Right action. We always have the right to choose to do what we want but we don't have the choice to the consequences. To summarize the whole matter, live with others just like you would want them to live with you. The whole laws, rest on this matter.