Homework

Ajarns, share your knowledge and ask your questions
TheReason
Articles: 0

Homework

Post by TheReason »

In my early days as a teacher, I used to be that annoying teacher who left homework in absolutely every class. Students would get mad at me for it and that later on led the class to rebel against me (which made the teaching-learning process extremely difficult). I now try to have a healthy balance and leave homework once a week (maybe twice, if tests are coming up) but no more than that. Have any of you had any similar experience?
OneTimeMan

Re: Homework

Post by OneTimeMan »

Oh, this is an interesting topic. I would argue that it depends largely on the subject you are teaching. I, for one, am a mathematics and physics teacher. For mathematics, I never avoid giving out homework. I just change the quantity. If we learned something new in that class, I will give out a lot of homework, but if we're simply just expanding on the old I'll give a few tasks at most. For physics, on the other hand, I rarely give out homework. If I do, though, it's usually experiments that students are supposed to measure at home. We have a discussion about it at the beginning of every class.
jyy

Post by jyy »

Homework is good for the college and high school level but is counterproductive for lower grades. Anyway, if lower-level schools do feel extra work needs to be done, then they can always make a study period within school hours.
AccountingProf

Post by AccountingProf »

jyy wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:23 pm
Homework is good for the college and high school level but is counterproductive for lower grades. Anyway, if lower-level schools do feel extra work needs to be done, then they can always make a study period within school hours.
Why would giving homework for grade level students be counter productive? When I was in grade school, we were given homework regularly by our teachers. These were a combination of written tasks and tasks that needed creativity like drawing stuff, creating things, etc. Our teachers gave varying homework to keep things fresh and interesting. Aside from homework being a great learning tool, it also is a great medium for a nice family bonding. This is because when a child in grade school is given homework, the parents usually help their child out. This brings the family closer together.

Homework is a great tool for student development of it is used properly. :)
jyy

Post by jyy »

AccountingProf wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:45 pm
jyy wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:23 pm
Why would giving homework for grade level students be counter productive? When I was in grade school, we were given homework regularly by our teachers. These were a combination of written tasks and tasks that needed creativity like drawing stuff, creating things, etc. Our teachers gave varying homework to keep things fresh and interesting. Aside from homework being a great learning tool, it also is a great medium for a nice family bonding. This is because when a child in grade school is given homework, the parents usually help their child out. This brings the family closer together.

Homework is a great tool for student development of it is used properly. :)
http://www.alternet.org/story/9682/back ... d_for_kids

Some have argued, with scientific backing, that it doesn't produce better students.
amitkokiladitya

Post by amitkokiladitya »

I always prefer giving homework to the kids. Both the kids and the parents have to a natural tendency of skipping a topic if there is no related homework that is given. So it is wise that some or the other topic related homework is given so that the kids stay in touch with the topic. Homework always helps to maintain a rhythm of home studies.
iyanpol12

Post by iyanpol12 »

I think it is fine to give assignments to students, but don't go for a lot of items. Giving at least 2-3 times a week would be fine.
There is a school in the Philippines where my nephews are studying. The school is never giving assignments because it is the school and teacher's duty to teach children so they will learn, as they say "you pay, we teach". I don't think it is a great policy because giving children assignments is part of being a student.
alexanderzx360

Post by alexanderzx360 »

For me, homework is just an obligatory way to make your students learn. What I do, is give them recommended practice exercises and weekly leave them a not too long homework, so that way I can know if they're getting what I'm teaching and also prepare them for the test. Of course that they get the homework right won't necessarily mean that they will do great on the exams, so you need to be careful about that!

Cheers
overcast

Post by overcast »

I think homework is definitely necessary for the growth of students. So you are not annoying teacher. In fact you are doing it for the benefit of the students. I personally do keep the test every month or so to test the ability of the students on topic. And homework on weekly basis is a must for me. That way I can understand what is my personal progress as far my communication and method is concerned. But depending on how you choose to handle things, it may be different for you. In such case the best option is experiment and see what works with your student. That's the way you can do the progress for yourself.
Wizkha2

Post by Wizkha2 »

Homework is essential for the student's comprehension. I think students must have homework everyday, in order to understand better the content viewed in class, The method I use when I teach a student is based on daily homework, then once every 2-3 weeks I apply a test to make sure the student understood everything, what are the details that have to be reviewed and fix them, and then go on the next lesson. It's strict but it has worked for me very well along the 3 years I'm giving lessons to my students.