What do you think it's the hardest thing about moving to another country?

If you can't find a category then this is the place to ask!
Tatiana22
Articles: 0

Re: What do you think it's the hardest thing about moving to another country?

Post by Tatiana22 »

I think the hardest thing when moving to another country is the cultural shock. You find yourself surrounded by strangers who have other habits than you are used to, they speak a different language that is not your native language and you feel like you are all alone, nothing seems like home. You start missing your friends and family, and you ask yourself why did you move here in the first place. I went away to USA for a few months in an exchange program and I felt all those things in the beginning. I'm from Romania, so there is a huge time zone difference and it kind of affected my body routine, I felt tired for days. But day by day I got used to everything, I started learning the city and I started to feel like that was my second home. I made a few good friends that I'll never forget and I had a great time. So, if you are planning to move to another country I encourage you to do it with an open heart and give a chance to that place because you can feel amazing everywhere you go, it's only up to you to adapt and embrace the new culture.
Zeke

Post by Zeke »

Being away from your family I guess. Adjusting to new culture and environment. Another thing is the food. If I stay overseas for too long I will surely miss the food from my country.
Mario Junior

Post by Mario Junior »

Depends on many things! For example, if moving with a partner, your relationship can be put to the test. Anyway this is not the point I want to talk about.To avoid a depression when moving abroad try to get in tune with how you are really feeling and what is really upsetting you about either moving abroad or about the place you are in if you have already moved.

Journalling is a great way to get to the bottom of things, without others influencing our emotional process. If the idea of writing out how you really feel makes you feel ashamed or scared, then vow to yourself rip up whatever you write afterwards so you feel safer.Language barrier — Even if you can speak some of the language of your target country, you will be constantly pelted with unfamiliar words, and looking them up all the time can be annoying. But eventually you will learn and grow accustomed to it.Food, mannerisms, and other differences in culture — in your country of origin, no doubt you’ve become accustomed to and even attached to various aspects of your home country’s cuisine. In the new country, you may find that none of your favorites are available, or even if they are, are never the same.Bureaucracy and laws — each country will have its own bureaucratic structure and rules and the like. Many of which you will simply not know ahead of time, regardless of how much preparation you do up front. But you will bump into them after you’ve been living in the new country for awhile. Simple things like using your bank accounts, setting up utilities, renting a flat, etc. can involves a lot of surprises.
ion

Post by ion »

Well, for me I think the culture. We need to study their culture first to avoid some possible conflict. The language also, we should know how to communicate well with them, we should know how to talk and make a conversation. The weather also is one of the factor, our body should good enough to face the different kind of weather.
JB Fernandez

Post by JB Fernandez »

goldlady wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:58 pm
Hello people! I am thinking about going to Thailand for a year, maybe working as a teacher or something else... I am open minded about it. I think the hardest thing about moving to another country might be the cultural shock. What do you think?
Well aside from the culture differences, the thought that you are going to leave your love ones from your home land to go to another country is enough to make you hesitant from leaving. But if it's really a good opportunity waiting for you in Thailand, just bare the loneliness of being apart from them. I heard that people in Thailand is also hospitable, I'm pretty sure you can feel just like home because of that.
trendjing

Post by trendjing »

I would say the hardest adjustment you could have is learning the language. It's great if most of the people where you're working is speaking in English, but if they don't, you are really required to study their language in the shortest time possible, especially if you will be there for a long period of time. Another thing, for me, it seems respectful to learn a language where you're at, not just to understand them, but to let them understand you more as you are one of the residents in their country.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Many are saying that the most difficult part of moving abroad is the language barrier. I agree, however, moving to a place like Thailand, especially to a big city like Bangkok, the level of English is good enough for foreigners to get by.