What do you think it's the hardest thing about moving to another country?

If you can't find a category then this is the place to ask!
goldlady
Articles: 0

What do you think it's the hardest thing about moving to another country?

Post by goldlady »

Hello people! I am thinking about going to Thailand for a year, maybe working as a teacher or something else... I am open minded about it. I think the hardest thing about moving to another country might be the cultural shock. What do you think?
amitkokiladitya

Re: What do you think it's the hardest thing about moving to another country?

Post by amitkokiladitya »

For me everything will be turned upside down. The main problem will be language problem. I always have a tough time in learning a new language. Moreover starting a new life from the very beginning is really a tough part of my life.
Dracostar1

Post by Dracostar1 »

I would have to say the hardest thing would be two things, learning the language as well as meeting new friends and associates. I find it hard moving to one state to another, moving to a whole new country with a different language could pose as a big problem for me. But, you should try to think more positive and prepare yourself for the big move.
TheOtherSide

Post by TheOtherSide »

There are many things to consider, first is language. It will be hard to do things if you can't understand one another. Remember the fall of Babylon? Their inability to communicate to one another force them to leave what they are doing and parted their ways leaving Babylon behind. Weather is also a factor. It's hard to live in areas with constant raining and flooding, if you are not used to. Transportation also plays a part. If you used to ride bus and taxi as a transport means, then suddenly it's not available, you'll really have problem. And lastly, custom and religion. There are places with dress codes and some foods are deemed unholy. Other than, I think it's good to be in another country once in a while.
iyanpol12

Post by iyanpol12 »

Being from a country where families used to be close, leaving my family is the hardest part of going overseas. I miss them so much when I am away.
Second, the adjustment in my new place. It will surely be difficult to adjust especially everything is new. New home, new work, new culture, and possibly new language.
And of course, culture shock can be so difficult to deal with too.
TheReason

Post by TheReason »

iyanpol12 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:39 pm
Being from a country where families used to be close, leaving my family is the hardest part of going overseas. I miss them so much when I am away.
Second, the adjustment in my new place. It will surely be difficult to adjust especially everything is new. New home, new work, new culture, and possibly new language.
This is exactly what I think. I'm moving to another country in less than a month and I'm already thinking and getting anxious about it. Not being close to my family and friends will be the hardest sacrifice. However, living in a different place is a great opportunity to meet new, interesting people. Learning from them and allowing them to learn from you and your culture. Also, it gives you perspective on things you thought you already knew about. I remember Anthony Bourdain talking about it on his show, how things like poverty, kindness, and richness get a new meaning when you travel
iyanpol12

Post by iyanpol12 »

TheReason wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:17 pm
iyanpol12 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:39 pm
This is exactly what I think. I'm moving to another country in less than a month and I'm already thinking and getting anxious about it. Not being close to my family and friends will be the hardest sacrifice. However, living in a different place is a great opportunity to meet new, interesting people. Learning from them and allowing them to learn from you and your culture. Also, it gives you perspective on things you thought you already knew about. I remember Anthony Bourdain talking about it on his show, how things like poverty, kindness, and richness get a new meaning when you travel
It's not easy to leave your home, family, and friends. They are a huge part of yourself, and leaving them is like cutting or removing a part of your life. However, you can view it as an opportunity. Yes, it is an opportunity for your career. Though, it is an opportunity to explore the world, the life in other part of the world. It is also an opportunity to learn more about life and how to be independent. Thus, working overseas will make you stronger than ever.
Rossy

Post by Rossy »

Nothing is easy at all with moving to another country. The most difficult thing is adapting to the new culture. This means learning the new language, eating totally new dishes that might not be pleasant in the very first days. Making friends will be a task as well. Moving around in a new environment is not easy. Your entire life changes and you have to start it all over.
NicholasMukuha

Post by NicholasMukuha »

It's said that east or west, home is best. This means that any other place apart from home has a defect. Whether from country to country or even from one city to another within the same country, the burden is the same. However, I think depends on your personality skills. For example, I have a sister who is a complete social butterfly. She went to a foreign country, and she has made more friends, than I have at home.

Another problem besides making new friends and connections, is getting familiar with the new place. Around the world, not only in Thailand, we have had even adults getting lost around towns. The problem is made worse by asking the wrong people for a direction. Some will make you lose your direction further, while some might lead you into streets famous for criminal gangs.

Last but not least, is getting into trouble with the government. Some laws not enforced by some governments, are enforceable in others. If one is not aware of this laws, they might find themselves in prison quite easily. Remember, ignorance is no defense in a court of law.
Alexandoy

Post by Alexandoy »

There is the thing called culture shock that foreigners who move residence to another country usually experience. It's not easy to explain but let me try. When I moved to the US, I was very particular with the society, how they act in public, the way they talk and some other things that are new to me. But after a few days, I was feeling overwhelmed and I realized that I was indeed an alien with a different culture. It's not easy to shed off your habits and to acquire new habits is not easy either. And my advice to those who have prospects of moving to a foreign country, take time to study the culture of that country so you can easily be at ease because you already know what is there.