How to manage parent's complaints?

Ajarns, share your knowledge and ask your questions
amitkokiladitya
Articles: 0

How to manage parent's complaints?

Post by amitkokiladitya »

There are some parents who are as difficult to manage as their kids. They simply do to accept the fact that their child can be at fault. All they focus on is blaming other fellow students as well as the teachers. Such parents to are a really harmful breed which pollute the minds of other people as well.

Have you ever come across any such stubborn parents? What methods did you undertake so as to cope up with them?
TheReason

Re: How to manage parent's complaints?

Post by TheReason »

I have and it really is very strsssful. It seems that It is always the teacher's fault if the students misbehave or get bad grades. Though the teacher plays a significant role, ultimately it is up to the student to pay attention to class and study at home. I have always tried to tell that to the parents, as well as encourage their kids to study with them instead of leaving them to their own devices
Dracostar1

Post by Dracostar1 »

I would simply tell it like it is. Just tell the parents the truth about their child, whether they want to hear it or not. Don't mind the complaints too much, just do your job and do what you can the help their child. Tell them to try and pitch in to help their child as well.
amitkokiladitya

Dracostar1 wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:24 am
I would simply tell it like it is. Just tell the parents the truth about their child, whether they want to hear it or not. Don't mind the complaints too much, just do your job and do what you can the help their child. Tell them to try and pitch in to help their child as well.
There are times when the situation moves out of control. The parents become a irritating breed who simply don't want to listen to anything. For them their kids are simply the best and all the fault lies in the teacher and the teaching system. Such parents become a big mental stress to the teachers. It is really hard to make them realize the reality. In such situations it is wise to stay ignorant to their complaints.
fishmonk

Post by fishmonk »

It is important to be direct and honest with the parents. You need to be able to convey the key message and tell how the student can improve. Not everyone is perfect. These parents usually want to save face so try to be gentle and not hurt them. Otherwise, the issues will never be resolved.
overcast

Post by overcast »

I think one has to understand the complaints of the parents. Often parents are complaining something genuine. And you have to understand how to convince them in such situations. You can see that each student has different learning curve. I think you can notify the progress of students to their parents through some app or through google apps options. Some of the time even the progress through email suffices. I think this is one thing that every teacher is struggling with. But depending on situation and scenario, this problem has to be tackled differently.
Garost303

Post by Garost303 »

Mostly families from the western culture cover up for their kids a lot. In Africa it's the opposite. I grew up in a family that my dad could punish me for anything a stranger tells him I did wrong. I remember a day I was asked to take my dad to school for misbehaving and my dad punished me thoroughly for being asked to take a parent to school without even caring to know what the problem was.
alexanderzx360

Post by alexanderzx360 »

It's a certain thing to say that depending on the culture, the kid's parents might or might not be difficult to handle. If the complain is certainly genuine (doesn't matter if it's directly about you as a teacher, about other students bullying his son or about something entirely different) you have to make sure you'll work it out with them to find a solution. If it isn't you have to explain them the real situation and make them see it from your side, and if this isn't possible take it to a higher level, maybe talk with the school director so they can make an appointment with all of the parties involved and see how they sort it out.
amitkokiladitya

overcast wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:42 am
I think one has to understand the complaints of the parents. Often parents are complaining something genuine. And you have to understand how to convince them in such situations. You can see that each student has different learning curve. I think you can notify the progress of students to their parents through some app or through google apps options. Some of the time even the progress through email suffices. I think this is one thing that every teacher is struggling with. But depending on situation and scenario, this problem has to be tackled differently.
A teacher should carefully listen to the complaints. In any case, the parents must not feel that the teacher is disinterested in their complaints or has an ignorant attitude towards their child. Then comes the polite way of handling the situation. Any question regarding their teaching practice or monitoring kid's behavior must be answered in a straight forward and nondefensive manner.

A clear picture of the situation must be provided to the parents. If they are wise enough, they will analyze the situation and will try to guide their child in the desired direction. Otherwise, leave everything on time or seek help from higher authorities.
overcast

Post by overcast »

It's not easy to listen to complaint. And not all complaints are valid either. So it's the thing that teacher has to set some boundaries. And you can see that some of the rules on what to be allowed to complain for. Because if you don't set out the boundaries then parents will blame every single thing on the kids. Not all parents can be dealt with reasoning. So setting some institutional rules often solves that problem. But it's up-to the teacher to make sure there is proper communication on that front.