Fruit trip in Bangkok streets

If you can't find a category then this is the place to ask!
Alexandoy
Articles: 0

Fruit trip in Bangkok streets

Post by Alexandoy »

One of the wonderful things I find in Bangkok is the array of fruit vendors. Durian is my favorite such that I buy about twice a day although I cannot bring it inside the hotel, there's a fine of 5k baht. Maprang is a yellow plum that tastes like a mix of mango and papaya. Their lanzones or duku is great. And my wife loves the giant sugar apple (called atis in our country). How about the macopa? What's best in the fruits of Thailand is the guarantee of quality, they are all sweet whether it is tamarind, pineapple, coconut, etc. So if you are a fruit lover, Bangkok is the place for you.
TheOtherSide

Re: Fruit trip in Bangkok streets

Post by TheOtherSide »

I think the South Eastern part of the world is really blessed with bountiful natural resources, tropical paradise and precious commodities including but not limited to fruits, herbs and spices, pearls and many others. That being said, Thailand with it's capital Bangkok as part of the South East Asia also benefits from having a tropical climate and abundant harvest. Hence Thailand ranks among the top producers and exporters of rice, fruits and other food commodities. And I think it is only normal for Bangkok to have such delicious and mouth watering fruits available for it's citizen and foreigners to enjoy.
iyanpol12

Post by iyanpol12 »

I am a fruit lover, and what I love about Bangkok is it's just like Philippines seeing those fruit stalls. And yeah, there are free tastes too. But I am not for Durian. I don't know. It's not just about the smell actually. I don't find it that delicious. Perhaps it depends on someone's tastes. It was cool to see fruits in Thailand that are also available in the Philippines.
muaaz.93

Post by muaaz.93 »

As of the tropical temperature of Thailand, there are lots of fruits that are only available in Thailand. I am a fruit lover who has been to Thailand for professional training. I was amazed to see a fruit called Durian which is quite similar in looks with pineapple but tastes like a mixture of mango and papaya. Nevertheless, its smell is so pungent. Then there is Dragonfruit, Chom-poo, and Mang-Kut. Among all these Turian is the most expensive and you need to be alone while eating it.
Bluerose

Post by Bluerose »

I had been in Bangkok, Thailand last 2004 and the exotic fruit that I like the most is their green macopa. I used to eat red macopa when I was a kid so when I visited Thailand, I was fascinated with this green macopa. I haven't seen and tasted that green macopa and I see it everywhere on their fruit stalls and also being serve as fruits or drink in the hotel where we stayed in.
SimplyD

Post by SimplyD »

iyanpol12 wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:29 am
I am a fruit lover, and what I love about Bangkok is it's just like Philippines seeing those fruit stalls. And yeah, there are free tastes too. But I am not for Durian. I don't know. It's not just about the smell actually. I don't find it that delicious. Perhaps it depends on someone's tastes. It was cool to see fruits in Thailand that are also available in the Philippines.
Since you have been in Bangkok, can you say that they have more different kinds of local fruits?
Me, I love durian. I was born in Cotabato, where there are lots of durians.
Though, as I was about to enter my Grade 1, we transferred to Bicol. Thus, durian became a luxury since it is expensive. So, I would buy it from the fruit stand whenever my budget permits it. However, my hubby doesn't like the smell and the taste. So, I only get to buy once only for the house.
But at my parents' house, everyone loves durian except the grandchildren. So, the adults would have a feast eating durian whenever I go there since my mother would always buy it.
However, I noticed that now that I have grown old, I can only eat 3 cloves of the durian because the fourth would already make me nauseous.
Is durian cheap in Thailand?
neiltarquin

Post by neiltarquin »

Wow, it us a treat for fruit lovers if your in Thailand. I could eat fruits all day, unfortunately they are a bit expensive. Especially here in Saudi. If I'm given a chance to visit Thailand, I won't let that oppurtunity to pass. Eating fruits is one of the best way to cleanse our system.
JoeMilford

Post by JoeMilford »

The fruit markets all over Asia are amazing. How you can eat Durian is beyond me, and I commend you for it, but the smell of it alone makes me want to retch. I am American, and so I have seen and eaten fruits in Asia that I do not even know the name of, and I have found many delicious surprises at fruit stands and in random markets.
augusta

Post by augusta »

Nice to read this,I'm a fruit lover.I go on fruit almost every week.This has been a routine since I read about the health benefits of fruit fast.

I will hesitated to try this out when I land in Thailand.
ballyhara

Post by ballyhara »

Well, I'm a fruit lover indeed, but never heard of Durian. I'm from a tropical country, so coconuts, papaya, mango, pineapple, passion fruit, and all of them are common here. Unfortunately, we don't have the chance to eat what we call exotic fruits, for example litchi, or pitahaya. Also, there is this one called Taro, which is like a purple fruit, really yummy, or Acai... delicious. Another one is the starfruit, tastes really fresh and citric, or the black Sapote that tastes like chocolate. Hope I can be able to taste them again.